Simple Metaphors

In the New Testament, John recorded for us several powerful metaphors that the Savior gave to describe Himself using common objects.  To the woman in Samaria He proclaimed that He was a source of “living water” (John 4:10).  To those who had recently eaten bread given to them miraculously by the Savior, He said, “I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger” (John 6:35).  He also told the Jews, “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12).  Later He proclaimed, “I am the door of the sheep….  I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved” (John 10:7, 9).  In the same discourse He also declared, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth life for the sheep” (John 10:11).  In another book, John recorded Christ’s words that He was the visitor at the door: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him” (Revelation 3:20).  So we can think of Him not only as the door but also the visitor outside the door waiting to enter.  The way that Christ used these simple objects to describe His role helps us see that He should be a part of our everyday life.  He did not compare Himself to gold or to worldly wealth only obtainable by a few; no, He used the objects that we need, use or see every day: water, bread, light, doors, shepherds, etc.  Ultimately He is the source of all life on earth, and just as it is the simple items like bread and water that give us life and sustain us physically, in the same way Christ saves and sustains us spiritually. 

Comments

Popular Posts