Prophets and Humility

One theme that we see in the scriptures is that those prophets whom we typically see as great and almost infallible men acknowledged their own sins and weaknesses in significant ways.  Paul, one of the greatest missionaries of all time, said, “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” (Romans 7:24)  In similar language, Nephi exclaimed: “O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities” (2 Nephi 4:17).  This was from the character that seems almost perfect as we read about his valiant defense of his father as a prophet and his willingness to do anything that the Lord required.  Another great missionary who aided in the conversion of thousands of Lamanites said, “Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak” (Alma 26:12).  Another great and valiant missionary who lived in an extremely wicked age and yet did wonders in the name of the Lord said this when He was called: “Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?” (Moses 6:31)  The response of Moses was similar when the Lord called him to go before Pharoah: “I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue” (Exodus 4:10).

                Moroni, one of my heroes in the Book of Mormon, constantly recognized his own weakness before God and before us, his readers.  He urged us, “Condemn me not because of mine imperfection, neither my father, because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him” (Mormon 9:31).  While writing the account of the Jaredites he said to the Lord, “The Gentiles will mock at these things, because of our weakness in writing....  When we write we behold our weakness, and stumble because of the placing of our words; and I fear lest the Gentiles shall mock at our words” (Ether 12:23, 25).  He was constantly concerned about his own inability to write the record that was required of him. Fearing that his own weakness might be used to condemn God, he said this in the title page of the book: “And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men.” 
                A modern-day hero likewise recognized his great weakness before the Lord.  Joseph Smith said, “There was one good man and his name was Jesus. Many persons think a prophet must be a great deal better than anybody else....  I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not” (History of the Church 5:401).  The Doctrine and Covenants bears out his own humility.  Passages of condemnation from the Lord to Joseph could have easily been editing out by him, but he included them:  “And behold, how oft you have transgressed the commandments and the laws of God, and have gone on in the persuasions of men” (D&C 3:6); “And now I command you, my servant Joseph, to repent and walk more uprightly before me, and to yield to the persuasions of men no more” (D&C 5:21);  “And now, verily I say unto Joseph Smith, Jun.—You have not kept the commandments, and must needs stand rebuked before the Lord” (D&C 93:47).  Clearly Joseph did not try to hide behind some pretended façade of being perfect—he let his weaknesses and imperfections none and acknowledged that he was indeed a “rough stone rolling.”

                Even the Savior, the One who really was perfect, said this: “Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God” (Luke 18:19).  So if these prophets and even the Savior humbly recognized their position before God, how much more need have each of us to, as Alma invited his son, “acknowledge your unworthiness before God at all times”! (Alma 38:14)

Comments

Popular Posts