Our Most Important Converts

One of my favorite chapters in the New Testament is 1 Thessalonians 2.  I think we see into the heart of Paul as he wrote to this people he loved, and he shared how he gave his whole heart to them as he imparted the gospel of God.  Any missionary who has truly loved the people he or she has served can relate to the feelings that Paul expressed in this chapter.  I’ve read this many times over the years, but recently I took a look at it from the perspective of a parent instead of a missionary.  Ultimately I think that this kind of feeling that Paul expressed to those he had taught the gospel to is what I hope to be able to say about my efforts to bring up my children in light and truth.  In fact, he even related his feelings towards these his converts to that of raising and teaching children: his actions were “even as a nurse that cherisheth her children” and “as a father doth [comfort and charge] his children.” 

                Having given all I can for them, I want to be able to express the same feelings to my children.  I want to be able to say to them that I was “bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God” and that I did it “not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile.”  I hope that I can say that I spoke to them “not as pleasing men, but God” and that I was “gentle among you… being affectionately desirous of you.”  I hope to have “imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also [my] own soul, because ye were dear unto [me],” and that I labored “day and night, because [I] would not be chargeable unto any of you.”  I pray that each child will know “how [I] exhorted and comforted and charged every one… that ye would walk worthy of God.”  And if my children do indeed accept the gospel taught to them by their parents, I will “thank God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as in truth, the word of God.”  Paul finished the chapter with these words that I would say likewise to my children: “For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?  For ye are our glory and joy.”  As I think about the challenges that they will fact in their lifetime and the tests of faith they will endure, there is nothing I want more than for them to find joy and safety in living the gospel and ultimately being welcomed into the presence of the Lord at His coming. 
                I’ve heard it said that our most important converts will be our children.  As a missionary I came to love deeply those that I served and taught the gospel to, and it was very hard to leave them, especially knowing that for many of them I would not be able to see them again.  As Paul said to this group, “being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavoured the more abundantly to see your face with great desire.  Wherefore we would have come unto you,” but Paul was “hindered” and could not see them.  I likewise wish that I could see again the face of many of those who I have taught but now I cannot find and cannot visit them.  How glad I am, though, that this is not the case with my children.  Though one day I know they will leave home, I have not two years to be with them, but for eighteen years and more I will seek to serve and teach and hopefully help them become the kind of people God wants them to be.  With John I would say, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth” (3 John 1:4). 


 


Comments

Popular Posts