Jacob and the Voice of the Lord

I think that Jacob 7 teaches us how to be prepared against the cunnings of the adversary, especially for us in these last days.  Sherem came to Jacob in order to “shake [him] from the faith” regarding Christ (Jacob 7:5).  Sherem “had a perfect knowledge of the language of the people” and “could use much flattery, and much power of speech” in order to persuade the people.  He “labored diligently” and he “did lead away many hearts”—but not Jacob’s (Jacob 7:3-4).  Jacob withstood him with great faith and power, and he told us how he was able to do that despite Sherem’s cunning.  He mentioned three things specifically that prevented Sherem from shaking his faith: “many revelations”, having seen and been ministered to by angels, and this: “I had heard the voice of the Lord speaking unto me in very word, from time to time” (Jacob 7:5).  Jacob certainly had dramatic spiritual experiences that had prepared him to face Sherem, but I think that this last reason was really the most important: he had heard and could understand the voice of the Lord.  

It’s certainly possible that Jacob meant that as a prophet he actually heard an audible voice and that it was the Lord’s.  But I suppose that the way that we commonly hear the voice of the Lord was also the more common way that Jacob did as well: through the Spirit in his mind.  In the next chapter in the Book of Mormon, Jacob’s son Enos would speak about just that.  Said he: “The voice of the Lord came into my mind” (Enos 1:10).  And this is exactly what Jacob had to be able to understand—the voice of the Lord to his mind—in order to know how to deal with the situation with Sherem.  How did Jacob know to give Sherem a sign through the power of God?  It was through the Spirit of the Lord that in the moment guided Jacob’s words and actions with Sherem.  In fact, it’s almost as if Jacob changed his mind mid-sentence: he started responding to Sherem’s request for a sign by saying, “What am I that I should tempt God to show unto thee a sign?”  But then Jacob suddenly said, “Nevertheless, not my will be done; but if God will smite thee, let that be a sign unto thee” (Jacob 7:14).  It appears that Jacob got that inspiration right in the moment to know God’s will.  Jacob could withstand Sherem because he knew how to hear the voice of the Lord. 

Perhaps one of the reasons that we read the scriptures is for us to practice hearing the voice of the Lord.  As we read sincerely we can come to understand and feel the words of sacred writ and hear the voice behind them.  In the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord said this about the words in holy writ:  “These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man; For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them; Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words” (D&C 18:34-36).  So if we read the scriptures as the Lord intends, we should likewise be able to testify that we have heard His voice and know His words, and that will make all the difference for us as the Sherems of our day attack the doctrine of Christ.     

Comments

Popular Posts