Great Revelations

Howard W. Hunter said of the Prophet Joseph Smith, “As we follow his life and works from that point, we find that he did not attempt to proceed on his own powers. He was dependent upon the Lord and thereby received his help and was given his instruction. His life was led by revelation” (see here).  We certainly see that as we look at what he experienced and produced: the First Vision; the visits from the angel Moroni; the Book of Mormon; the visits from numerous other angels such as John the Baptist, Peter, James, and John, Elijah, Moses, and many others; the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants, the scriptures of the Pearl of Great Price; and much, much more.  Surely there is an enormous amount of revelation that he received that we know nothing about.  Two quotes from him come to mind.  On the one hand he said, “God hath not revealed anything to Joseph, but what He will make known unto the Twelve, and even the least Saint may know all things as fast as he is able to bear them” (see here).  In other words, the Lord will reveal to us that which Joseph learned if we are ready to comprehend and live it.  But on the other hand Joseph also said, “Had I inspiration, revelation, and lungs to communicate what my soul has contemplated in times past, there is not a soul in this congregation but would go to their homes and shut their mouths in everlasting silence on religion till they had learned something.  Why be so certain that you comprehend the things of God, when all things with you are so uncertain?  You are welcome to all the knowledge and intelligence I can impart to you” (see here).  So do we have the devotion to the Lord to receive the great revelations that He has for us? 

                I think that several prophets in the Book of Mormon had that same level of revelation and communication from the Lord as the Prophet Joseph.  Of Nephi and Lehi, the sons of Helaman, we read that they “knew concerning the true points of doctrine, having many revelations daily” (Helaman 11:23).  Of Nephi’s son Nephi we read, “It were not possible that [the people] could disbelieve his words, for so great was his faith on the Lord Jesus Christ that angels did minister unto him daily” (3 Nephi 7:18).  Jacob described his faith and the revelations he had received this way: “And he had hope to shake me from the faith, notwithstanding the many revelations and the many things which I had seen concerning these things; for I truly had seen angels, and they had ministered unto me. And also, I had heard the voice of the Lord speaking unto me in very word, from time to time; wherefore, I could not be shaken” (Jacob 7:5).  Nephi said of his revelatory experiences, “Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time.  And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.  And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains.  And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them” (2 Nephi 4:23-25).  All of these prophets had such marvelous experiences, and surely it was because of their faith and righteous living that they could commune with God in the same ways as the Prophet Joseph did.  I suppose that if we can live the kind of lives they lived we can have those same kind of experiences as Brother Joseph promised.    



Comments

Popular Posts