Do Not Fear

Another encouraging message from the Doctrine and Covenants is that the faithful have no need to fear despite the difficult days ahead.  While we should fear God, we need not fear man or the events of our day if we follow the Savior.  In a revelation to the Church the Lord gave this promise and encouragement: “Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come” (D&C 68:6).  The reason to not fear is not that we will not have trials, but that we have a sure Friend to stand by us in all our difficulties.  This is what He told Joseph when He had feared because of man: “For, behold, you should not have feared man more than God. Although men set at naught the counsels of God, and despise his words—Yet you should have been faithful; and he would have extended his arm and supported you against all the fiery darts of the adversary” (D&C 3:7-8).  If we don’t fear man despite how our actions and faith might put us at odds with the world, the Lord will support us in all of our difficulties.


               The Doctrine and Covenants contains many other words of exhortation telling us that we should not fear.  The Lord told the Prophet, “Therefore, whosoever belongeth to my church need not fear, for such shall inherit the kingdom of heaven” (D&C 10:55).  To Emma the Lord said, “And thou needest not fear” (D&C 25:9).  Peter Whitmer received this counsel from the Savior: “Therefore, fear not, but give heed unto the words and advice of your brother, which he shall give you” (D&C 30:5).  His brother John Whitmer was similarly told to “ever open your mouth in my cause, not fearing what man can do, for I am with you” (D&C 30:11).  To the Saints in general the Savior encouraged: “Fear not, little flock, the kingdom is yours until I come. Behold, I come quickly. Even so. Amen” (D&C 35:27).  In another revelation He said, “Therefore, be ye strong from henceforth; fear not, for the kingdom is yours” (D&C 38:15).  In the same revelation He told us, “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear” (D&C 38:30).  He also encouraged us with these powerful words: “Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me” (D&C 50:41).  In 1833 at a time of great difficulty in Missouri the Lord said, “Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks” (D&C 98:1).  In response to those same problems in Zion the Lord said, “Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full” (D&C 101:36).  When Joseph was in Liberty Jail he received these encouraging words of the Savior: “Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever” (D&C 122:9).  And as the Saints traveled west under the leadership of Brigham Young, “Go thy way and do as I have told you, and fear not thine enemies; for they shall not have power to stop my work” (D&C 136:17).  Again and again the Lord has told us not to fear man but to trust in Him through all the trials of life.  

Comments

Popular Posts