The Love of Jesus

 I listened to a talk by S. Michael Wilcox in which he highlighted several of the scriptures in the New Testament which speak about the love that Jesus had for people and individuals.  Of the young ruler Mark wrote, “Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him” (Mark 10:21).  Numerous verses in the book of John speak of “that disciple whom Jesus loved,” referring to the love that Jesus had for John (John 21:7).  When Jesus went to raise Lazarus John recorded, “Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus” (John 11:5).  To the apostles as a group Jesus said, “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another” (John 13:34).  In an even more general description we read that “when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end” (John 13:1).  We can clearly see from the gospel accounts that Christ had a great love for the people among whom He served, just as He loves each of us with a perfect love.  As Nephi  described, “He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him” (2 Nephi 26:24).


               The message of the Doctrine and Covenants is just as explicit in its description of the love that the Savior has for each individual.  To Joseph and Hyrum the Lord said, “Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love” (D&C 6:20). Of Hyrum Smith He said, “And again, verily I say unto you, blessed is my servant Hyrum Smith; for I, the Lord, love him because of the integrity of his heart, and because he loveth that which is right before me, saith the Lord” (D&C 124:15).  He similarly said of George Miller, “And again, verily I say unto you, my servant George Miller is without guile; he may be trusted because of the integrity of his heart; and for the love which he has to my testimony I, the Lord, love him” (D&C 124:20).  In the same section He said as well, “Let my servant Isaac Galland put stock into that house; for I, the Lord, love him for the work he hath done” (D&C 124:78).  To all His disciples the Savior said, “With the chastisement I prepare a way for their deliverance in all things out of temptation, and I have loved you” (D&C 95:1).  In even more general terms we read that Christ “so loved the world that he gave his own life, that as many as would believe might become the sons of God” (D&C 34:3).  Christ’s love is for all whether we lived in the meridian of time or today.  Perhaps the most powerful witness of the Savior’s love comes in the “appendix” section of the Doctrine and Covenants: “And now the year of my redeemed is come; and they shall mention the loving kindness of their Lord, and all that he has bestowed upon them according to his goodness, and according to his loving kindness, forever and ever. In all their afflictions he was afflicted. And the angel of his presence saved them; and in his love, and in his pity, he redeemed them, and bore them, and carried them all the days of old” (D&C 133:52-53).  Christ’s loving kindness knows no bounds for all of us whom He has already bore.  

Comments

Popular Posts