A Tribute to President Monson

How could I write anything except for a tribute to President Monson today?  I was moved as I listened to the radio in my car this morning to KSL's tribute to President Monson.  What an incredible life he led—to me he epitomized the service that Christ wants us to give.  I spend a fair amount of time talking and writing about the gospel, but President Monson spent his life living it in total Christian service.  His first priority was always ministering to the individual who needed him; he was always on the Lord's errand.  It has been nearly 10 years that he has served as president of the Church and I remember the day back in February 2008 that he became the prophet.  I was walking on the campus at BYU listening to my earphones as the news conference made the announcement.  I had an overwhelming feeling confirming to me that he was indeed the man that the Lord had prepared through decades of service.  And now looking back it is incredible what the Church has done in that decade under his leadership.  But his greatest achievement will always the way that he ministered to countless individuals individually. 

I remember growing up that my dad always talked about how much he loved President Monson's stories.  He would tell so many faith promoting stories in general conference, and as I think about it I realize that at least one of the reasons for this was that he simply had so many experiences serving others.  Because he was always following promptings, always helping others, always visiting the sick and giving Priesthood blessings, he had a nearly endless supply of stories to inspire us with.  Whenever I give a lesson in Church I usually struggle to find a meaningful experience from my own life that helps illustrate the principle being discussed, but President Monson lived the gospel so fully as he served others that he always had experiences to share. Surely what was said about the Savior's ministry could be said about President Monson: "He went about doing good" (Acts 10:38).       
               Perhaps because of the way he ministered so well to those who were sick and close to death, one of the themes of many of his conference talks was the reality of the resurrection.  I can’t read this verse from Job without hearing President Monson say it: “If a man die, shall he live again?”  (Job 14:14) I can then hear his booming voice testify, “He shall live again!”  One of the verses that he loved from the Book of Mormon was also about what happens at death: “Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life” (Alma 40:11).  As in this video, I’m sure he used this verse often to comfort those near death’s door.  President Monson knew that this life is not the end and that the resurrection, thanks to the Savior’s atonement, will come to all of us.  Now he finally can be, as Alma taught, “received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where [he] shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.”  How grateful I am for the 90 years of selfless service that President Monson gave!

Comments

Popular Posts