From Father to Son: Keep the Commandments


One of the subjects that Alma focused on with his three sons when he gave his final teachings to them was the need to keep the commandments.  It was the first thing recorded that he said to Helaman: The first thing Alma said to Helaman was, “My son, give ear to my words; for I swear unto you, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land.”  He emphasized the same thing again later in his words to Helaman: “But behold, my son, this is not all; for ye ought to know as I do know, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and ye ought to know also, that inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence” (Alma 36:1).  The first thing he said to Shiblon likewise focused on keeping the commandments: “My son, give ear to my words, for I say unto you, even as I said unto Helaman, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence” (Alma 38:1).  When he addressed Corianton, Alma reminded this wayward son of the need to keep the commandments like his brothers had: “For behold, have ye not observed the steadiness of thy brother, his faithfulness, and his diligence in keeping the commandments of God? Behold, has he not set a good example for thee?” (Alma 39:1)  Alma knew of the difficulties facing his sons and that the only way for them to successfully navigate the many challenges ahead for them was to keep the commandments of the Lord. 

               There are several other examples in the Book of Mormon when a father taught his sons to keep the commandments of the Lord.  For example, Lehi pled with his sons multiple times to keep the commandments of God.  To Lemuel he pled, “O that thou mightest be like unto this valley, firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord!” (1 Nephi 2:10).  To both Laman and Lemuel he taught, “Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; but inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence” (2 Nephi 1:20).  To Jacob Lehi said, “I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life” (2 Nephi 2:28).  King Benjamin taught his sons in these words: “And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers” (Mosiah 1:7).  Helaman said to Nephi and Lehi, “Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words” (Helaman 5:6).  Over and over the message from father to son in the Book of Mormon was to keep the commandments of the Lord.  And this is the same message that we must teach children in our day too.  What Alma taught his son Helaman over 2000 years ago is still as true today as it was then, “Inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and ye ought to know also, that inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence” (Alma 36:30). 

Comments

Popular Posts