The Pattern of the Seven Letters


The seven letters to the servants of the seven churches recorded Revelation 2-3 all have a similar structure.  They start with a declaration that the words are from Jesus Christ using one of His names or descriptions: “he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand”, “saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive”, “he which hath the sharp sword with two edges”, “the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass”, “he who hath the seven stars”, “he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth”, “the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God.”  All of these declare that the message to them is from the Savior and highlight His omnipotent power.  Each of the letters also contains a similar statement about overcoming: “To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God”, “He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death”, “To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna”, “he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations”, “He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment”, “Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out”, “To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.”  These letters were meant to help encourage the Saints then and now to seek to overcome the world in spite of the great difficulties and harrowing dangers we may face.  We can all overcome because Christ Himself overcame the world, and if we do we have the promise of an eternal reward.   

                There are two other phrases that are in each of the seven letters and the repetition underscores their importance then and now.  The first is a declaration that the Savior knows our works: “I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil”, “I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty”, “I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith”, “I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works”, “I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead”, “I know thy works”, “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot,”  The Savior knew what each of these churches were doing then and He knows each of us individually now.  We cannot hide our works from Him, and just has He knows the whole future of humanity as described in this book, He knows our actions individually. 
                The second phrase that is in each of the letters is an invitation to hear His words.  John recorded this exact phrase in each of the seven letters: “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.”  The Lord wants us to hear His voice in these letters; He wants us to open our ears and to seek to understand what the Spirit says.  This is consistent with the invitation at the beginning of the book of Revelation itself: “Blessed are they who read, and they who hear and understand the words of this prophecy” (JST Revelation 1:3).  We are to not just read but to seek to hear His voice and understand the words that the Lord gave to John for us.  These letters to the seven churches invite us to hear the voice of the Savior, to know that He sees our works, and to seek to overcome the world through Him.           

Comments

Popular Posts