I Will Trust in Thee Forever

In Nephi’s psalm, as he lamented his sins and weaknesses, he declared, “And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted…. O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh” (2 Nephi 4:19, 34). For Nephi the key to overcoming his challenges, to ridding himself of sin, to conquering his enemies, was putting his trust completely in the Lord.  His words reflected the words of Isaiah that he would later write down: “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation” (2 Nephi 22:2).  In some of Nephi’s final words he also warned us against not putting our trust in the Lord: “Cursed is he that putteth his trust in man, or maketh flesh his arm, or shall hearken unto the precepts of men” (2 Nephi 28:31).  For Nephi, if there was one thing that enabled him to overcome so many obstacles, from getting the plates from Laban to finding food for his family in a desert to building a boat to cross the ocean, it was trusting in the Lord. 

  This idea of putting our trust in the Lord became thereafter a theme in the Book of Mormon, often expressed by a prophet towards the end of his life.  Jacob wrote of his people in the final verses of his record, “Wherefore, the people of Nephi did fortify against them with their arms, and with all their might, trusting in the God and rock of their salvation” (Jacob 7:25).  King Benjamin taught his people at the end of his reign that because of “the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world… salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord” (Mosiah 4:6).  Zeniff and his people were able to conquer their enemies because they did go forth “putting their trust in the Lord” (Mosiah 10:19).  Mosiah taught shortly before his death, “Thus doth the Lord work with his power in all cases among the children of men, extending the arm of mercy towards them that put their trust in him” (Mosiah 29:20).  Alma taught his son Helaman a year or so before he left the earth, “I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day…. God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and I do put my trust in him, and he will still deliver me” (Alma 36:3,27).  The stripling warriors were likewise delivered because they trusted in the Lord.  Helaman described them this way: “Their minds are firm, and they do put their trust in God continually” (Alma 57:27).  An in a letter to his son, likely also near the end of his life, Mormon wrote, “But behold, my son, I recommend thee unto God, and I trust in Christ that thou wilt be saved” (Moroni 9:22).  Like all the Nephi prophets, his trust was in Christ despite the terrible challenges he faced.      
            So how do we put our trust in the Lord like these prophets?  The key seems to be continuing to do what the Lord requires no matter what the outcome, to follow the commandments despite the cost or risks, knowing that if we do so it will all be okay in the end.   In that same letter Mormon suggested the same: “And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently… for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God” (Moroni 9:6).  To trust in the Lord is to labor with our might to do the things He asks of us, to make His priorities our priorities and let the consequences follow as they will.  If we do that, He will indeed lift us out of all our trials and troubles.  Mormon summarized well this great message of the Book of Mormon: “Yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him” (Helaman 12:1).   

Comments

Popular Posts