In His Strength I Can Do All Things

To my daughter, 

               This week in our Book of Mormon reading we learned about the missionary success of the sons of Mosiah. We read of Ammon’s rejoicing over their labors among the Lamanites in which he said this, “Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things” (Alma 26:12). Ammon realized that by himself he could do nothing; but with the Lord’s help he could do all things he needed to do. In the strength of the Lord he and his brethren had successfully taken the gospel to the Lamanites, something that other Nephites told him would never be possible. I want you to know that you too can do hard things with the Lord’s help. As you put your trust in Him, pray, study your scriptures, and try your best to live as He would have you live, you will have the power to do whatever He needs you to do. Ammon gave us in fact a formula for success for missionary work which I think applies in general to any righteous endeavor we undertake: “Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing… it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance” (Alma 26:22). As we repent each day, exercise our faith and truly believe in the Savior, do everything we know how to do good works in our lives, and then pray with all our heart to the Lord for His help, we will be able to work miracles. I love the way that Paul, who like Ammon helped convert thousands in his missionary service, put it: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Philippians 4:13). I know that this is just as true for you too—as you learn to put your trust in Christ you can do all things He needs you to do.

               I want to encourage you to take seriously the new Children and Youth program and to continue to set and work towards goals that you have for yourself. This is a great opportunity for you to figure out what you want to accomplish and then to strive with the Lord’s help to do it. President M. Russell Ballard said this about setting and achieving goals, “I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life.” Be prayerful as you seek to know what the Lord will have you do, then write down what you want to accomplish and do everything you can to achieve your goals. Your goals will change from time to time, but what is important is that you are striving to do good works with God’s help. I know that you can do great things in this life!

Comments

Popular Posts