Such a Time as This

To my son,

                The story of Esther is one of courage and faith in God. Esther was a Jew in Persia after her people were taken out of Jerusalem when the city was destroyed by the Babylonians. She became the queen to the Persian king Ahasuerus, but he did not know that she was a Jew. One of the king’s top officials was Haman, and he did not like the Jews. He convinced the king to send out a decree that all the Jews should be killed. The king agreed, not knowing that his own wife was among them. When Esther and her people found out they were devastated and scared. Esther’s uncle Mordecai told Esther that she needed to do something to stop it, and he said to her these famous words, “Who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” In other words, she had been put by the Lord in her position of influence at that time so that she could do something to stop this plot against her people. She responded with these words of faith, “Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish” (Esther 4:14-16). They would all fast and pray to the Lord for a miracle, and then she would go in unto the king and speak to him. This was something she was not supposed to do uninvited in their culture, and so she could have been killed just for going to him. But the life of her people was on the line, and so she went in faith, trusting that the Lord would respond to their fasting and prayers to preserve their people. She showed great courage and went forth in faith to the king, and ultimately she was able to save her people. I love her story because it can help us have courage in the face of difficulty or danger, knowing that if we trust in the Lord He will watch over us and magnify our efforts to serve His children.

                I am sure that in your life you will have many opportunities to show courage in difficult situations. I hope that you will remember the story of Esther and how she was brave and was able to bless others at the risk of her own life. I know that as you put your trust in God, whatever the challenge you encounter in life He will be there to guide you through it. One of my favorite verses from Isaiah gives us this promise: “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness” (Isaiah 41:10). I know that He will be with us, He will strengthen and help and uphold us in times of trouble. Remember that our Heavenly Father sent you to earth at this particular time to do great things—you were meant to come “at such a time as this” as world faces many challenges and we prepare for the Second Coming of the Savior Jesus Christ. Never doubt that you have a great work to perform, and you will accomplish it if like Esther you show faith and courage. I love these words of Sheri Dew which I am confident apply to you: “Noble and great, faithful and fearless, courageous and determined—that is who you are and that is who you have always been!” 

Love,

Dad

Comments

Popular Posts