Unto Every People

As he often does, President Nelson expressed his love for members of the Church in the most recent general conference. He said at the end of his first talk, “I love you, my dear brothers and sisters. I pray that this conference will provide the spiritual feast you are seeking.” In his second message he also said this, “I stand amazed at the faith and testimony you demonstrate again and again. I weep over your heartaches, disappointments, and worries. I love you. I assure you that our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, love you. They are intimately aware of your circumstances, your goodness, your needs, and your prayers for help. Again and again, I pray for you to feel Their love for you.” And then as he finished his final talk he again expressed his love for all of us, “My dear brothers and sisters, may you focus on the temple in ways you never have before. I bless you to grow closer to God and Jesus Christ every day. I love you. May God be with you until we meet again.” I believe that we see evidence of that love the prophet feels for all of God’s children in the way that he has sought these past five years to give the same opportunities to all members of the Church. In many of the actions of the leaders of the Church they have sought to be more inclusive, such as in how temples are being built closer and closer to the people. The youth programs have also been revamped to be the same across the world, giving youth outside the United States the same opportunities as those here. Women have been given more chances to serve where previously only men served, such as in witnessing priesthood ordinances. Uniting with other groups such as the NAACP and speaking out strongly against all forms of racism have also witnessed the focus of the Church on loving all of God’s children. Indeed, I believe that President Nelson really means it when he expresses his love for all of us.

               Nephi was another prophet who clearly loved all people. He expressed his feeling for his people in these words, “But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry” (2 Nephi 33:3). When he learned of the suffering of his future posterity because of their wickedness, he was overcome with grief. He wrote, “O the pain, and the anguish of my soul for the loss of the slain of my people! For I, Nephi, have seen it, and it well nigh consumeth me before the presence of the Lord” (2 Nephi 26:7). In his final words he wrote to all people, “And I pray the Father in the name of Christ that many of us, if not all, may be saved in his kingdom at that great and last day. And now, my beloved brethren, all those who are of the house of Israel, and all ye ends of the earth, I speak unto you as the voice of one crying from the dust: Farewell until that great day shall come” (2 Nephi 33:12-13). Like all prophets, he longed for all of God’s children to be saved, and he invited all to come unto the Lord. In a powerful passage about the love of God for all mankind, Nephi declared, “None of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile” (2 Nephi 26:33). He testified that what matters to God are not the many labels that divide us here—it is righteousness: “Behold, the Lord esteemeth all flesh in one; he that is righteous is favored of God” (1 Nephi 17:35). We should seek to follow the examples of both President Nelson and Nephi in loving all of God’s children, desiring like Alma to bless all nations by helping them come unto Him: “O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth” (Alma 29:1-2).

Comments

Popular Posts