Whom Say Ye That I Am?

To my son,

                This week in our Come, Follow Me study as a family we read the following account in the New Testament: “When Jesus came into the coasts of Cæsarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 16:13-17). That question is one that we each need to answer for ourselves: “Whom say ye that I am?” In other words, who is Jesus? Peter answered this by declaring that He is the Son of God, the Messiah, the one who would save us from our sins. Jesus responded to his declaration by suggesting that Peter had not learned this from the people around him; rather, he had learned it through a witness of the Father. In other words, through the Holy Ghost Peter had revealed to him who Jesus really was and no matter what the others around him thought or said, he knew who Jesus was. Each of us can likewise come to know who Jesus is as we turn to our Father in Heaven for truth. Through sincere prayer, a study of the scriptures, partaking of the sacrament, and striving to follow the teachings of Jesus we can come to know through the Holy Ghost like Peter that He is the Son of God and that through Him we can find salvation.

                I remember feeling that witness of the Spirit many times on my mission as I spoke to people in the streets of France and testified of Jesus Christ and the prophets He has sent in the last days. Many times people would tell me, “Dieu n’a pas de fils!” (God does not have a son!”) They could only accept Jesus as a prophet but not as a divine Son of God. But I know that these words of King Benjamin are true because I have felt the Holy Ghost testify of their truth: “And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary. And lo, he cometh unto his own, that salvation might come unto the children of men even through faith on his name” (Mosiah 3:8-9). I know that the Father sent His Son in the flesh to show us the way and to bring all of us home to Him. I love these words of the song you sing in Primary:

 How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?

He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.

How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?

He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.

How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?

He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.

What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?

Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.

What does he ask? Live like his Son.


I hope that as you sing those words you too feel of their truthfulness.

And while Jesus is the literal Son of God, we can become His children spiritually by choosing to follow Him. When we covenant with Him through baptism to follow Him, we become the children of Christ because we take upon us His name. Just as you took my last name upon you when you were born physically, as we are born spiritually we put the name of Jesus upon us and it is as if we are His sons and daughters. Consider these words from the Savior in this dispensation: “Behold thou art Hyrum, my son; seek the kingdom of God, and all things shall be added according to that which is just. Build upon my rock, which is my gospel…. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I am the life and the light of the world…. verily, verily, I say unto you, that as many as receive me, to them will I give power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on my name” (Doctrine and Covenants 11:23-30). I hope that you will always believe on His name, and He will give you power and help you through all the challenges of life. Know that He loves you perfectly and He will be your Friend forever. 

Love,

Dad  

Comments

Popular Posts