I Am Ready

As his third mission neared an end, Paul headed towards Jerusalem because he felt strongly from the Spirit that the Lord wanted him there. He said, “And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:22-24). When he got to Cæsarea, a prophet named Agabus came and bound his own hands and feet and said, “Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.” With that prophecy the Saints there sought to persuade Paul to not continue to Jerusalem, but his mind could not be changed. He said, “What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus” (Acts 22:11-13). He knew that’s where he was supposed to be even though great afflictions awaited him there. After he got to Jerusalem he was taken by the people and nearly killed, and his life was only saved because the Roman soldiers arrested him and protected him. When he subsequently spoke to the Sanhedrin, there was eventually such an uproar that “the chief captain, fearing lest Paul should have been pulled in pieces of them, commanded the soldiers to go down, and to take him by force from among them, and to bring him into the castle.” It was there in captivity that the Savior came to Paul with these words about his continued mission: “Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome” (Acts 23:10-11). Paul had come to Jerusalem ready to die there for the Savior, but now as he was cast into prison he knew that his mission was not over—he would be going to Rome to preach there. Perhaps he would have expressed at that point words similar to what Moroni said when he realized the Lord had given him more time than expected, “I had supposed not to have [preached] any more; but I [preach] more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren according to the will of the Lord” (Moroni 1:4).

               Soon after this Paul was taken from Jerusalem to Cæsarea where he was further judged and heard and put under some kind of house arrest by Felix. Felix listened to Paul and was hoping that the apostle would give him money, and in the meantime he was left in bondage. Luke recorded, “After two years Porcius Festus came into Felix’ room: and Felix, willing to shew the Jews a pleasure, left Paul bound” (Acts 24:27). Paul was at that same city where he had declared he was ready to die in Jerusalem, but now he was ready to go to Rome where the Lord had told him he would preach. It must have been so aggravating to know of this upcoming mission and yet not be able to do anything about it—for two long years he was imprisoned and at the mercy of Felix. I think that it was during this time that he realized he needed to do something to get himself to Rome, and that he did as soon as he was given another chance to talk. He was taken before Festus who wanted to please the Jews and get Paul back to Jerusalem. The Roman governor said to Paul, “Wilt thou go up to Jerusalem, and there be judged of these things before me?” Previously nothing could stop him from going to Jerusalem when he was in Cæsarea because he felt strongly that the Lord wanted him there. Now he knew his mission was to Rome and so nothing could get him to go from Cæsarea to Jerusalem. He took matters into his own hands and made a bold move. He said, “I stand at Cæsar’s judgment seat, where I ought to be judged: to the Jews have I done no wrong, as thou very well knowest. For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Cæsar” (Acts 25:9-11). That appeal to Cæsar meant that he was requesting to be sent and tried at Rome. After having an opportunity to testify before another Roman leader, Agrippa, the latter remarked, “This man might have been set at liberty, if he had not appealed unto Cæsar” (Acts 26:32). But Paul’s goal was not to be free—it was to get to Rome to fulfill the mission that the Savior had for him. And through that appeal and the guiding hand of the Lord he did indeed make it to Rome where he continued to bear witness of the name of Jesus Christ. His is a powerful example to us of staying committed to whatever the Lord wants of us. When Paul learned what the Savior wanted him to do, nothing could stop him from fulfilling his mission. 

Comments

Popular Posts