On Your Right Hand and On Your Left

To My Daughter, 

                I wanted to write you a letter about what happened yesterday at the park. After your brother's soccer game, as we were walking out together, I stopped to talk to a friend. I didn’t realize that you kept walking, and after I finished talking I turned to head towards the car. After we walked for a little bit I realized that you weren’t with us, and so we started looking for you. Your brother saw you in the street about 30 yards from us, and I dropped everything and ran to get you. You crossed the street once and walked towards a car that you thought was ours (it looked like ours but was someone else’s van), and then not knowing what to do I watched you cross back across the road looking very frantic. When I reached you and picked you up I could tell that you were distraught and with tearful eyes you looked at me and with your four-year-old voice exclaimed, “Daddy, I didn’t know where you were! And you didn’t know where I was!” I was so glad you were safe but was so sad that you were scared and lost for a minute. Though I often fall short, I want you to know that I will always do my very best to be there for you and watch over you. 

                I want you to know that there is someone who is always watching out for you and who always knows where you are: your Father in Heaven. You are His daughter, and He sent you to earth to do great things. No matter if you feel lost or afraid or if you think that no one knows your troubles, always remember that your Father in Heaven does know. As Ammon taught King Lamoni, “He looketh down upon all the children of men” and He not only knows where you are but He even knows your “thoughts and intents of the heart” (Alma 18:32). He is always watching you, and if you seek His help through prayer He will always be there to comfort and strengthen you. Remember that you can pray any time to Heavenly Father and He will hear you. Having the ability to pray is even better than having a cell phone—your battery will never die and you will never be out of range. Never forget this declaration of the Savior, “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you” (Doctrine and Covenants 88:63). As you draw near to your Father in Heaven and to Jesus in your prayers and in your thoughts, you will feel Their presence and love for you. You will never be lost if you stay close to Them.

                As you grow up you will face many challenges. But as you seek to stay true to the gospel of Jesus Christ, you have this promise from Him: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up” (Doctrine and Covenants 84:88). Think of that—you have the Savior as well as angels to be with you and help you! Never lose hope no matter what your difficulties, and remember that you are never lost to the Lord—always put your trust in Him and there is no challenge you can’t overcome.

 

Love,

Dad


Comments

Popular Posts