The Living Christ

To my daughter,

            Several weeks ago I wrote to you about the gift of the Savior that I hope you receive this Christmas. Today I want to encourage you to also offer a gift to Him by studying more fully His life and ministry. One of the best ways to start doing that is by studying the document The Living Christ. This was written by the prophet and apostles and published to the world in the year 2000 when I was a teenager. They wrote of his premortal ministry, His work on the earth, His great atoning sacrifice, and His post-mortal ministry as our resurrected Savior. I love the way that they conclude the document: “We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son.” I know I have felt the Spirit confirm the powerful truths that it teaches, and I encourage you to read and study their testimony of the Savior. Use it to help you to come unto Him.

One of the suggested goals in the Children and Youth program is this: “Memorize ‘The Living Christ.’ Listen to it or memorize one sentence at a time—whatever works best for you. Recite it for family or friends at Christmas, Easter, or another special occasion.” I remember memorizing this a couple years after it was published. I spent part of one summer at a camp in another state, and I would go on jogs in the morning and practice memorizing it while I did that. It was a great blessing to me then to have those words fill my mind and teach me about His perfect life and ministry. For example, I love this description of His life: “He ‘went about doing good’ (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.” Wouldn’t it have been amazing to also walk those roads in Palestine with Him when He was alive? How incredible it must have been for His disciples to see Him heal the sick, give sight to the blind, and even raise the dead! Ever since I memorized this document I have thought often about that phrase from Peter that sums up the work of His life: “He went about doing good.” I know as we seek to learn more about His life and come unto Him more fully, we too will be inspired to accomplish good things in our own lives and try to do as He would do. I encourage you to set a goal to study more earnestly about His life. As you do you will see the fulfillment of this promise from President Nelson: “If you will make a sacrifice, you will be well rewarded and very, very grateful for the change of perspective, increased knowledge, and improved depth of your conversion. I know this is true because I have seen the same rewards in my own life.” 

Love,

Dad

Comments

Popular Posts