A Lifetime of Study

Early this morning, before any of the kids should have been getting up, my two-year-old started crying. I went in tried to get her back to sleep and she seemed to suggest she wanted some food, so I got her a little snack and brought it to her crib. She was then upset by that and told me that she wanted a book instead. I went and found a little picture book and gave it to her and she eagerly grabbed it and started giggling as she looked at the pictures. It made me smile and think of the statement by the Dutch philosopher and humanist Erasmus which I have mentioned here before: “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.” My little girl chose a book over food, and I hope she indeed comes to highly value in her life the written word, especially the word of God found in the scriptures. In this week’s Come, Follow Me lesson we see the power of the written word in the life of President Joseph F. Smith. He recorded the impact that reading and pondering the scriptures had on him in his great revelation on the redemption of the dead now found in Doctrine and Covenants 138: “On the third of October, in the year nineteen hundred and eighteen, I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures; And reflecting upon the great atoning sacrifice that was made by the Son of God, for the redemption of the world…. While I was thus engaged, my mind reverted to the writings of the apostle Peter, to the primitive saints scattered abroad throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, and other parts of Asia, where the gospel had been preached after the crucifixion of the Lord. I opened the Bible and read the third and fourth chapters of the first epistle of Peter, and as I read I was greatly impressed, more than I had ever been before…. As I pondered over these things which are written, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested upon me, and I saw the hosts of the dead, both small and great” (v1-11). It was the power of the word of God, and his diligent searching and pondering of those words, that opened up the heavens to him.

                I believe, though, that he received this glorious revelation because he spent one evening diligently studying the scriptures—he had no doubt spent a lifetime studying the word of the Lord and this was the culmination  (indeed he died several weeks later). We see this in the fact that the revelation references so much of the written word and the people of the scriptures. President Smith saw the ancient prophets from Adam and Eve to Seth, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Elias, Malachi, and Elijah. In those references he mentioned many scriptural passages showing how familiar he was with the scriptural record. He quoted Isaiah 61:1-2 in which the prophet prophesied of how the Savior would be anointed to “bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening to them that were bound” (v42). President Smith mentioned how Ezekiel “was shown in vision the great valley of dry bones, which were to be clothed upon with flesh, to come forth again in the resurrection of the dead, living souls” (v42). This is clearly a reference to Ezekiel 37:1-14. He alluded to Daniel’s prophecy “who foresaw and foretold the establishment of the kingdom of God in the latter days, never again to be destroyed nor given to other people” (v44). This is recorded in Daniel 2:44-45. He referred to the visit of Moroni recorded in JSH 1:39 and quoted that Book of Mormon’s prophecy about the prophet Elijah who would “plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to their fathers” (v47). Later on he also alluded to Abraham’s vision in which he saw the “noble and great ones who were chosen in the beginning to be rulers in the Church of God” (v55, see Abraham 3:22). Clearly President Smith knew the scriptures and the people, stories, and doctrines contained therein.

He also showed how he had studied the life of the Savior and pondered a deep question about His ministry which I believe also led to his vision: “I marveled, for I understood that the Savior spent about three years in his ministry among the Jews and those of the house of Israel, endeavoring to teach them the everlasting gospel and call them unto repentance; And yet, notwithstanding his mighty works, and miracles, and proclamation of the truth, in great power and authority, there were but few who hearkened to his voice, and rejoiced in his presence, and received salvation at his hands” (v25-26). President Smith had clearly spent much time in the scriptures learning about the life of the Savior and His ministry and all of His prophets. That study undoubtedly led him to this point in which he received this revelation. It was a lifetime of searching and pondering of the scriptures, not just a single night’s reading, that opened his mind to these incredible visions of the Lord.  
  

Comments

Popular Posts