A Blessing Not Known Among the Children of Men

In the most recent general conference President Oaks spoke about the need for churches and mosques and synagogues and other places of worship. He spoke of the general trend of decreased participation in these and emphasized how valuable our own personal participation is in these. One of the blessings in particular found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the many opportunities for service not readily available elsewhere. He said this, “Individual spirituality can seldom provide the motivation and structure for unselfish service provided by the restored Church. Great examples of this are the young men and women and seniors who put aside their schooling or retirement activities to accept missionary callings. They work as missionaries to strangers in unfamiliar places they have not chosen. The same is true of faithful members who participate in the unselfish service we call ‘temple work.’ None of such service would be possible without the Church that sponsors it, organizes it, and directs it.” He also stated, “In a church we don’t just serve alone or by our own choice or at our convenience. We usually serve in a team. In service we find heaven-sent opportunities to rise above the individualism of our age. Church-directed service helps us overcome the personal selfishness that can retard our spiritual growth.” As we participate fully in the programs, activities, and worship of the Church we find countless possibilities to help, uplift, and serve others in a way that inevitably lifts and blesses our own lives. 

I can certainly attest to the truth of this for me personally. As I think back on the callings I have had over the years, I marvel at the diversity of experience I have gained and the fulfillment I have felt in various forms of service. I have been able to teach lessons, help scouts, prepare agendas, organize service projects, set up tables and chairs, visit members in their homes, encourage young men, participate in councils, accompany a choir, play the organ, and spend two years in a foreign land as a missionary. I’m not suggesting that I have done any of these particularly well, but I have certainly been blessed by the variety of experiences I have had and the many friendships with others, with both young and old, that this has provided me. How grateful I am for the Restored Church and the opportunities it has afforded me to stretch outside my comfort zone, help others, and interact with so many incredible people. And my experience is by no means unique—anyone who is willing to serve in the Church will attest to the ready opportunities they are given to serve others.   

In section 39 of the Doctrine and Covenants we have essentially a call to serve from the Lord to James Covel. The Lord said to him, “And now, behold, I say unto you, my servant James, I have looked upon thy works and I know thee…. But, behold, the days of thy deliverance are come, if thou wilt hearken to my voice, which saith unto thee: Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on my name, and you shall receive my Spirit, and a blessing so great as you never have known. And if thou do this, I have prepared thee for a greater work” (v8-11). He then gave this promise about the service and blessings that awaited James if he would make a covenant and thrust in his sickle: “Thou shalt preach the fulness of my gospel, which I have sent forth in these last days, the covenant which I have sent forth to recover my people, which are of the house of Israel. And it shall come to pass that power shall rest upon thee; thou shalt have great faith, and I will be with thee and go before thy face. Thou art called to labor in my vineyard, and to build up my church, and to bring forth Zion, that it may rejoice upon the hills and flourish. Behold, verily, verily, I say unto thee, thou art not called to go into the eastern countries, but thou art called to go to the Ohio. And inasmuch as my people shall assemble themselves at the Ohio, I have kept in store a blessing such as is not known among the children of men, and it shall be poured forth upon their heads. And from thence men shall go forth into all nations” (v11-15). He was called to preach the gospel, to gather scattered Israel, to build up the church, to bring forth Zion, and to go to the Ohio and into all nations as a missionary, In doing so he was promised that he would have the Lord’s power and have blessings “not known among the children of men” poured out upon him. Unfortunately, James chose not to and walked away from it all: he “received the word with gladness, but straightway Satan tempted him; and the fear of persecution and the cares of the world caused him to reject the word” (Doctrine and Covenants 40:2). And so, he got none of those opportunities for service and received none of those blessings. Though we may not be called to do exactly the same things as were listed here for him, these words contain the spirit of the callings and opportunities for service that the Lord has for each of us. Surely He has prepared for us as well a blessing “not known among the children of men” if we will choose to serve Him in His Church with all our hearts.  

Comments

Popular Posts