Thoughts and Prayers

Yesterday was the National Day of Prayer, and President Nelson said this: “On this National Day of Prayer, I have been pondering the evolving meaning in our society of the phrase ‘thoughts and prayers.’ For many, this is still a sincere expression of condolence and concern. For others, it is viewed as a perceived lack of action in the face of tragedy. I have a firm belief that praying for those in need is pleasing to God; in fact, He commands us to turn to Him and to pray for others! However, it is my own personal experience that when I ask God in prayer for direction on what I can do to help minister, lift, love, and support those in need, He answers these prayers with specific and simple things I can actually do to bless one of His children. I invite you to consider how your thoughts and prayers can be a catalyst for God to inspire and direct you toward acts of kindness, compassion, and generosity. Imagine how much good you could do in the world—and in your own family, school, and workplace. As we seek to be His healing and helping hands, we surely will exalt the Lord.” We need to give our thoughts and prayers and our best efforts to help bless those in need.

This reminds us of course of James’s famous statement: “Faith without works is dead” (James 2:20). As we pray for others and turn our thoughts to them in their needs, we must also look to do something for them at the same time if we can. This is in line with this story about the Prophet Joseph Smith told by one young man: “I was at Joseph’s house; he was there, and several men were sitting on the fence. Joseph came out and spoke to us all. Pretty soon a man came up and said that a poor brother who lived out some distance from town had had his house burned down the night before. Nearly all of the men said they felt sorry for the man. Joseph put his hand in his pocket, took out five dollars and said, ‘I feel sorry for this brother to the amount of five dollars; how much do you all feel sorry?’” I think that is exactly what President Nelson was trying to teach us in his post—as we turn our thoughts towards others and feel sorry for those in need, we should seek to give or serve or help in some way to turn that sorrow into some small action.       

             As the same time, though, we cannot underestimate or undervalue the power of prayer to help and bless others. Even the Savior served Peter by praying for Him: “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren” (Luke 22:31-32). I remember one time as a missionary when a fellow missionary and friend was struggling with a health problem. I did not know what I could do to help him but wanted to. Finding nothing else I felt I could do, I fasted and prayed for him without telling him or anyone else. His problems did not go away completely, but for a time shortly after that he condition did improve, and I felt the Lord had blessed him and I had some very small part in it. Another time on my mission I remember my mission president reading the above verse from James to another Elder and said, “Turn it around, Elder!” In other words, we should also remember that “works without faith is dead.” We need faith, and we can express that faith in heartfelt prayer for others who have difficulties far greater than we can possibly hope to overcome by our own efforts. And those prayers just might lead us to find some small way we can help as the Lord blesses His children.

Comments

Popular Posts