Ye Took Me In

Elder Kearon made this observation about the Savior’s young life when he spoke in general conference about refugees: “The Savior knows how it feels to be a refugee—He was one. As a young child, Jesus and His family fled to Egypt to escape the murderous swords of Herod.” We know essentially nothing about what happened to the Savior and Mary and Joseph when they fled to Egypt, but surely those years were not easy for them. How did they find places to stay or food to eat or clothes to wear? President Oaks suggested recently that the gifts the wise men gave them, including gold, may have helped them financially in making this journey from Bethlehem to Egypt. Even with that, though, surely they faced incredible hardships as they traveled hundreds of miles to a foreign land, likely often depending on the generosity of others to survive. And we might ask ourselves—if we had encountered these refugees, would we have helped them? This story should remind us that it is our responsibility to help refugees today who, just like Jesus, are displaced due to no fault of their own. Elder Kearon invited us in these words, “The Lord has instructed us that the stakes of Zion are to be “a defense” and “a refuge from the storm.” We have found refuge. Let us come out from our safe places and share with them, from our abundance, hope for a brighter future, faith in God and in our fellowman, and love that sees beyond cultural and ideological differences to the glorious truth that we are all children of our Heavenly Father.”

                When His family fled to Egypt was not the only time that the Savior was without a home. During His mortal ministry someone said to Him, “Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.” He responded, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head” (Matthew 8:19-20). He apparently did not have a home He could call His own as He went about serving His Father’s children. But His concern of course was not about Himself, but to help Him He asked His disciples to serve others. To those who do so His words of gratitude are these: “For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me…. Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me” (Matthew 25:40). And so as we think about whether we would have helped Him when He was a refugee, we need only ask ourselves whether we are willing to help those in need today. Sister Burton encouraged us in these words, “We can be assured of Heavenly Father’s help as we get down on our knees and ask for divine guidance to bless His children…. As we consider the ‘pressing calls’ of those who need our help, let’s ask ourselves, ‘What if their story were my story?” May we then seek inspiration, act on impressions we receive, and reach out in unity to help those in need as we are able and inspired to do so. Perhaps then it might be said of us, as the Savior said of a loving sister who ministered to Him: ‘She hath wrought a good work. … She hath done what she could.’”

                One student here in Utah who is a refugee recently gave a life summary this way: “Ever since I can remember, my family and I have always been associated with the term refugee. I was born in Zambia, Lusaka and lived there for nine years. I used to be constantly reminded to never get too comfortable with the lifestyle that was given to us because where my family and I lived wasn’t to be considered home. Prior to my birth, my family ran from the Democratic Republic of the Congo due to a war that took millions of lives, to whichever country they could be taken in. My family got assigned into a refugee program where they were reminded by the local natives that our people were not wanted there.” Commenting on their experience now seeking to gain an education here due to the help of an organization in Utah that helps refugees get an education, this student continued, “My background and upbringing has made me value education by continuing to be resilient and determined to accomplish my career goals. Education for me has opened up many opportunities such as creating an idea of having and obtaining big career goals. Although learning a new language and keeping up with hard courses did not come easily, I am very thankful to have pushed myself to develop such skills because they have and will continue to benefit me in the future. My past experiences have molded me to become the person that I desire to be. Both my background and education have informed me of how hard I need to work in order to have a successful lifestyle...I believe that continuing my educational journey will eventually lead me to success and a happy life where my future children will be safe, guided, and loved.” May we all seek to provide help and support for the refugees and those in need around us, for in them we just might see the Savior on His way to Egypt telling us, “I was a stranger, and ye took me in.”

Comments

Popular Posts