Troubled Yet Not Distressed

To my daughter, 

                Recently we have been learning about Paul and reading his words in our Come, Follow Me study. Even though he devoted his life to serving the Savior and preaching His gospel, Paul still faced enormous difficulties and went through many trials. He wrote to the Corinthians some of the things that he had endured: “Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches” (2 Corinthians 11:24-28). He was scourged five times, beaten with a rod, stoned, shipwrecked at sea three times, and was attacked by robbers and others who would do him harm many times. He was often hungry, thirsty, cold, and without adequate clothing. Indeed, his life was very hard! Given all of that, I am really impressed with the way that he encouraged the same Corinthians to have hope even in the midst of their challenges: “We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body” (2 Corinthians 4:8-10). He understood that even with trouble and persecution and situations that would cast us down, there is still hope in Jesus Christ. We need not ever be distressed or in despair or feel forsaken because we have faith and trust that the Lord will always help us through.

                I know that in your life you will face many difficulties and bear many burdens that will challenge your faith and perhaps even cause you to wonder where God is at times. I hope that you always cling to your faith in Jesus Christ and remember that no matter what happens, He will help you through difficulties. I love this statement from the Prophet Joseph Smith that George A. Smith recorded, “He [the Prophet] told me I should never get discouraged, whatever difficulties might surround me. If I were sunk into the lowest pit of Nova Scotia and all the Rocky Mountains piled on top of me, I ought not to be discouraged, but hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage, and I should come out on the top of the heap.” I hope that you indeed will always hang on by continuing to pray, read scriptures, and worship the Savior at Church even when times are difficult. That is how you exercise faith even when you may for a time not feel like doing those things. Never forget these words from the Lord to the Prophet Joseph when even he was for a time discouraged: “Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever” (Doctrine and Covenants 122:9).  

Love,

Dad

Comments

Popular Posts