Power to the Faint

Three years ago President Nelson declared, “On this Easter Sunday, with my deep feelings of love and gratitude, I declare my witness that Jesus Christ is indeed risen. He is risen to lead His Church. He is risen to bless the lives of all of God’s children, wherever they live. With faith in Him, we can move the mountains in our lives.” He testified of the reality of the resurrection and what that means to us. His testimony is that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, and because of that He can help us to move the mountains in our life. Because He overcame death and sin, He can give us power through our faith in Him. At this Easter season we should likewise remember both what Jesus did and what He can still do in our lives. President Nelson added, “Faith in Jesus Christ is the greatest power available to us in this life. All things are possible to them that believe. Internalize the truth that the Atonement of Jesus Christ applies to you. He took upon Himself your misery, your mistakes, your weakness, and your sins. He paid the compensatory price and provided the power for you to move every mountain you will ever face. You obtain that power with your faith, trust, and willingness to follow Him.” The message of Easter is not just that Jesus rose from the grave and performed the greatest miracle in human history, but it is also that He can perform miracles today if we will choose to believe and exercise faith in Him.

               In His teachings to the Nephites defining the gospel, the Savior said this: “And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—And for this cause have I been lifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works” (3 Nephi 27:14-15). He was “lifted up” on the cross so that He could lift us up from our sins. He died and was “lifted up” from the grave so that He could lift us up not just in the next life but in this life through our trials and struggles. At Easter we should look not just back and what He did but also forward in faith and what He can do for us in the future.

               Recently my four-year-old has taken to a particular song that I sometimes stream on my phone. Now when she sees that my phone is playing music, she takes it and tries to find this particular song. If she does, then she just keeps repeating it, sometimes singing along. The words of the first verse are these: 

He knew that there’d be pain and suff’ring.

He knew that there’d be blood and tears.

And still He made the earth beneath us,

But then He told us not to fear.

He would take it all

And wash it all away

If we will believe in His name.

He’s the healer,

The deliv’rer

From all pains, from all burdens and scars.

When you’re hurting,

Find His mercy,

And He will fix ev’ry piece of your heart. 

When my daughter gets to that last line she usually tells me that it is her favorite part and that it sounds like her mom singing. The message of this song is that because He endured pain and suffering and blood and tears, He can provide us healing, deliverance, and mercy, and fix the pieces of our heart if we believe in His name. I hope that this is a message she will never forget and that the words of this song will ever remain with her. This idea is perhaps most powerfully summed up by Isaiah: “He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength…. they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint” (Isaiah 40:29, 31).    

Comments

Popular Posts