Joseph and Paul

It appears that that the Prophet Joseph felt a great connection and affinity towards the apostle Paul.  We see that in a few places in the scriptures.  He wrote in his history after discussing the great persecution that came to him because of his vision: “I have thought since, that I felt much like Paul, when he made his defense before King Agrippa, and related the account of the vision he had when he saw a light, and heard a voice; but still there were but few who believed him; some said he was dishonest, others said he was mad; and he was ridiculed and reviled. But all this did not destroy the reality of his vision....  So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true" (JSH 1:24-25).  Both Joseph and Paul were changed forever by the vision of Jesus Christ that they had.  From the day of their vision forward they became witnesses for the Savior and their lives were completely devoted to the preaching of the gospel and the building up of the Church.  Paul traveled the world preaching the gospel to Jew and Gentile, and the Prophet Joseph spent all his labors trying to build up Zion and bring the Church out of the wilderness.  And as Joseph mentioned, both were heavily persecuted.  Joseph reflected on the “perils which I am called to pass through” and made this connection with Paul: “I feel, like Paul, to glory in tribulations; for to this day has the God of my fathers delivered me out of them all” (D&C 127:2).  Here he was quoting Paul’s words to the Romans: “We glory in tribulations also, knowing that tribulation worketh patience” (Romans 5:3).  Paul was stoned and beaten and put in prison again and again, and to him it was second nature to be persecuted for the Savior’s sake.  Joseph likewise by the end of his life had been tarred and feathered, beaten, put in jail falsely, and forced into hiding as his Missouri enemies sought his death.  Both of these men then by the end of their lives could say, as Joseph did, “Deep water is what I am wont to swim in.  It has all become a second nature to me” (D&C 127:2).  Ultimately I think it was the testimony of Jesus and their calling from Him that Paul and Joseph had most in common.  In a revelation through Joseph the Lord said to Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer, “I speak unto you, even as unto Paul mine apostle, for you are called even with that same calling with which he was called” (D&C 18:9).  While this was directed directly at Oliver and David, Joseph must have felt that the words could be applied to him as well: the Lord spoke unto Joseph just as He had to Paul because both were apostles and witnesses of Jesus Christ.  Both were valiant servants of the Lord, and I think Joseph could have said at the end of his life just as Paul: “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith” (2 Timothy 4:7).  

Comments

Popular Posts