Upon This Rock

One of the titles of the Savior that we see in all of the standard works is that of a Rock or Stone.  In the Old Testament He was called “the Stone of Israel” and simply “the Rock” (Genesis 49:24, Deuteronomy 32:4).  The Psalmist also used these titles, saying “For thou art my rock and my fortress” and describing how Christ was “the stone which the builders refused” (Psalms 71:3, Psalms 118:22).  David, who probably was the Psalmist, also said, “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer” (2 Samuel 22:2). 
In the New Testament Paul used the same thing, speaking of those who “drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (1 Corinthians 10:4).  In the Book of Mormon, the most famous use of this metaphor is found in the counsel of Helaman to his sons:  “It is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation” (Helaman 5:12).  In the Pearl of Great Price, the Lord used the term to describe Himself:  “I am Messiah, the King of Zion, the Rock of Heaven, which is broad as eternity” (Moses 7:53).  In the Doctrine and Covenants He used it again: “I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd, and the stone of Israel.  He that buildeth upon this rock shall never fall” (D&C 40:44).  All of these references remind us of the scene where Christ took the apostles to the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, a place known as Banias today which is at the base of Mount Hermon.  Likely with this backdrop of the mountain and a huge rock formation at the base, Jesus asked Peter, “Whom say ye that I am?” After Peter affirmed He was the Christ, the Savior told him that His Father had revealed this to him.  He continued, “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matt. 16:18).  We typically speak of the “rock of revelation” as what was meant by the Savior here, and certainly that is true.  But where does revelation come from?  The Savior is the source, and I don’t think we would be amiss to suggest that He also spoke of Himself here as the rock upon which the Church would be built.  The Church is built upon Christ, and Satan will indeed never prevail against Him.

Comments

Popular Posts