A Tribute to my Grandpa


Today is the 100th birthday for my grandfather.  Though he passed away twelve years ago, last night we had a family dinner in his honor and shared thoughts remembering him.  His final several years were difficult ones because he had severe dementia, and his mind faded long before his body did.  As I visited him in his care center over the final years I was impressed by his ability to keep a positive attitude even though there was so little he could understand around him.  He was an incredible example of patience and endurance and not becoming bitter amidst life’s challenges.  The words of Alma to the people of Ammonihah describe him in his final days: “Humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering” (Alma 13:28). 

               I was reminded last night by my aunt of the testimony my grandpa left me when I went on my mission.  He could speak little at that time, but my aunt elicited these words from him:

Dear Morgan:

Work hard
Study much
Keep the faith
Keep your chin up
Prayer is good

I know you’ll do well.  I love you.
    
Those are simple injunctions and yet powerful words to live by.  What can we not accomplish in life with prayer, study, hard work, a positive attitude, and faith in the Savior?  His life was one in which he did those things in his own quiet, unassuming way.  He was usually smiling and always working hard at something.  One of the themes of the conversation last night was also the way that he was always willing to work with and help his children, whether it was going the extra mile with school projects, or spending countless hours building a homemade kite.  He never wanted the limelight—you could apparently hardly get him to say a word in church—and yet he was always willing to help and serve his children. 
               After hearing some of those stories, my son came running up from downstairs and begged me to come build a little slide for the kids out of Omagles.  I was very tempted to tell him that it was time to go, that we could do it another time, that we needed to get home at a reasonable hour because we had Church in the morning, but I thought of my grandpa and realized that spending those fifteen minutes with him were more important than any of my excuses.  We built it and they enjoyed it for a few minutes, and I’m sure he didn’t think of it much more than that.  But my hope is, to paraphrase Jacob, that when he thinks back on his childhood and his father, he will remember not a father who was always too busy but will look rather “with joy and not with sorrow, neither with contempt, concerning [his] parents” (Jacob 4:3).  My grandpa will not be remembered for accomplishing great things by the world, but his family will remember him for his love and devotion to them, and surely that will matter much more to the Lord for all of us when we stand before Him.  President Nelson told us as missionaries in the MTC many years ago that the success of our mission will be seen in the Christlike attributes in our grandchildren; I think that measure of success for my grandfather’s life is equally valid and of far more importance than any mortal metric, and I hope that I can do my part in bringing that success to him, that someday I might merit those same words of Alma: “Humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering.”    
  

Comments

Popular Posts