Each Day

To my son,

               When I was about seven years old, a little older than you, I remember one night that my older brother came into my room and we snuck out of bed and read in the Book of Mormon on the floor in my dad’s office. It was then that I started reading on my own the Book of Mormon, and I have tried since that day to read it every day of my life. That has been a great blessing to me and I know that the Lord has strengthened me with His Spirit by reading each day in the Book of Mormon. One of the Book of Mormon videos that you really like is the one depicting the vision of the Tree of Life, and I love that story too. Nephi wrote this about those who were trying to get to the tree: “They came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree” (1 Nephi 8:30). The key to getting to partake of the fruit was holding on to the iron rod. Nephi later explained the meaning of the iron rod: “And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction” (1 Nephi 15:24). So the iron rod represents the word of God, or the scriptures, and Nephi promised that if we “hold fast unto it”—meaning that we diligently read and ponder the scriptures—the Lord will protect us from temptations and bad choices.

            I know that as we read the Book of Mormon in particular, the Lord will bless us and help us make the best choices in our life. I remember one time when I was having a hard time in a particular situation, and so I got away on my own where I could be alone and simply prayed and read in Moroni 7. In it Mormon taught, “I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ” (v16). The words of that chapter helped me to feel our Heavenly Father’s love and know the path that I should take. As you get older, getting guidance from Heavenly Father to make decisions will become more and more important for you, and I hope you remember that you can always turn to the Book of Mormon for help getting answers.

When you were born, the prophet of the Church was President Monson, and he loved the Book of Mormon. His very last message in general conference was called The Power of the Book of Mormon, and he invited you and me this way: “My dear associates in the work of the Lord, I implore each of us to prayerfully study and ponder the Book of Mormon each day.” I want to invite you to do that same thing, to read on your own in the Book of Mormon each day. Even if it is only one verse, I know that as you do this consistently you will feel the Holy Ghost and it will help you prepare to be baptized. You have many talents and I know you can do great things in your lifetime! Reading the Book of Mormon each day will guide you to do much good and “tell you all things what ye should do” (2 Nephi 32:3).      

Love,

Dad


Comments

Popular Posts