Eyes to See

In her recent conference talk, Sister Michelle Craig said this, “Jesus Christ sees people deeply. He sees individuals, their needs, and who they can become. Where others saw fishermen, sinners, or publicans, Jesus saw disciples; where others saw a man possessed by devils, Jesus looked past the outward distress, acknowledged the man, and healed him. Even in our busy lives, we can follow the example of Jesus and see individuals—their needs, their faith, their struggle, and who they can become.” She then told a story about how she was able to “see” more deeply a stranger in line with her when she took the time to really talk to him. This came because she resisted the temptation to be on her phone but instead engaged in a conversation. She ultimately found out it was his birthday and was able to wish him a happy birthday. Reading this story made me think of my experience with my two-year-old this week. I was in an early morning meeting on my computer for work when he got up and came into my room and plopped himself on my lap. He was trying to tell me that he wanted breakfast and I was trying to keep him calm while I focused on the conversation I was having with my co-workers. He finally got tired of waiting for breakfast and finally just reached over and clicked the power button on my laptop—it immediately turned off, and he had my attention! It was a reminder that I need to focus more deeply on the needs of my children and do my best to not let electronics and other distractions get in my way of “seeing” them.

               It is surely symbolic that one of the Savior’s miracles that he performed in mortality was giving sight to the blind. In the passage He read from Isaiah that described His mission it says He was anointed for “recovering of sight to the blind” (Luke 4:18). This was clearly something He did often. For example, on one occasion two blind men followed him begging for mercy. Matthew recorded, “And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord. Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you. And their eyes were opened” (Matt. 9:28-30). Mark gave another example in Bethsaida when a blind man was brought to Him and He healed him in phases; the first time he saw “men as trees, walking” and then after Jesus put His hands on Him again “he was restored” (Mark 8:22-25). Luke recorded that in general “unto many that were blind gave he sight” (Luke 7:21). Perhaps the most famous story is that of the man born blind who was asked to go wash in the pool of Siloam. He was indeed healed but was then persecuted for it. In the questioning he received, the man who had received his sight declared, “one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see” (John 9:25). Ultimately each of us are like these blind people whom Jesus healed for we all need to see more clearly His plan and our purpose. And just as He healed so many in mortality by offering them sight, so too can He grant us eyes to see. Through His power we can gain spiritual sight to see others as He sees them and to understand what He wants us to do.     

 

                

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts