My God Hath Been My Support

To my son,

                I want to write to you today about dealing with frustration and disappointment. All of us experience times when we are upset because of what others do or what happens to us or just because of our own weaknesses and mistakes. No matter what the source of the frustration, I want you to know that the best way to deal with it is to turn to the Lord for help and strength. Once Nephi expressed these feelings to the Lord when he was angry at himself for his sins: “O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me. And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins.” He was frustrated because he kept getting angry at his brothers and he was overcome with sorrow because of his weakness. But he didn’t dwell on those thoughts long but rather turned his heart to the Lord: “Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support…. O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?... O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh” (2 Nephi 4:17-20, 31, 34). When Nephi was disappointed in his own actions, he turned to the Lord and prayed for strength and help. Most importantly, he sought to put his trust in the Lord instead of in man. I know that whatever struggles you face, you can always turn to the Lord in your thoughts and in your prayers and I know He will hear you and give you strength to overcome all your challenges.

                One of my favorite stories in the Old Testament is what happened to Elijah after his encounter with the priests of Baal. You might remember that he went up against the priests of Baal and called down fire from heaven to consume the offering in an awesome manifestation of the power of God. After this event, the wicked queen Jezebel sought to kill Elijah, and he had to go on the run. He went south to a place called Beersheba in southern Israel and “went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life.” He was so upset and depressed by the events that had taken place—in particular the wickedness of the people—that he was ready to just lie down and die. But the Lord was watching out for him and was ready to help: “And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat. And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head.” He was awakened by an angel who was there to serve him breakfast! The Lord wasn’t going to let Elijah just lie down and give up, so he sent his angel to feed and encourage him. Elijah “did eat and drink, and laid down again,” and so the angel came “again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee.” Elijah still had a great work to do, and after this Elijah “went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God” (1 Kings 19:4-8). The food gave him strength for forty days! Like for Elijah and Nephi, I know that the Lord will also come to our aid in our times of frustration and difficulty. I encourage you to always seek His help through prayer and He will help you overcome all challenges in this life. 

Love,

Dad

Comments

Popular Posts