With All the Energy of Heart

After Nephi, the son of Helaman, departed from the land, his son Nephi took over the spiritual leadership of the people and was filled with sorrow because of the wickedness of the Nephites. Mormon recorded what he did: “And it came to pass that he went out and bowed himself down upon the earth, and cried mightily to his God in behalf of his people, yea, those who were about to be destroyed because of their faith in the tradition of their fathers. And it came to pass that he cried mightily unto the Lord all that day” (3 Nephi 1:11-12). He prayed with all his heart to the Lord as he sought to know what to do. This was our introduction to him as the next prophet of the Book of Mormon and highlights a key thing that all prophets in the Book of Mormon do: pray. His experience reminds us of Enos who recorded: “And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens” (Enos 1:4). Like Nephi he prayed all day long, and through his earnest supplication he also was able to hear the voice of the Lord to him. Mormon recorded his sorrow because of the wickedness of his people, and he turned to the Lord in prayer all day long as well: “Behold, I had led them, notwithstanding their wickedness I had led them many times to battle, and had loved them, according to the love of God which was in me, with all my heart; and my soul had been poured out in prayer unto my God all the day long for them” (Mormon 3:12). What these three examples show is not that answers come easier to prophets but rather that prophets like all of us must pray earnestly to commune with the Lord.  

                There are many other examples of prophets who prayed with all their hearts in the Book of Mormon. Nephi recorded, “For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry” (2 Nephi 33:3). When Alma was troubled about what to do when many of the people were wicked, “He went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter” and he “poured out his whole soul to God” (Mosiah 26:13-14). His son Alma was one of those who was wicked, and the angel revealed to the rebellious son, “The Lord hath heard the prayers of his people, and also the prayers of his servant, Alma, who is thy father; for he has prayed with much faith concerning thee” (Mosiah 27:14). After his repentance, the younger Alma also prayed earnestly and often to the Lord like his father. When he struggled because of the wickedness of the people of Ammonihah, “Alma labored much in the spirit, wrestling with God in mighty prayer, that he would pour out his Spirit upon the people who were in the city” (Alma 8:10). Later when he went to preach to the wicked Zoramites, he similarly poured out his heart to God in prayer, saying, “O Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions which shall come upon me, because of the iniquity of this people. O Lord, wilt thou comfort my soul, and give unto me success, and also my fellow laborers who are with me” (Alma 31:31-32). His eldest son Helaman faced terrible difficulties in the war with the Lamanites, and he recounted that in their greatest need, “We did pour out our souls in prayer to God, that he would strengthen us and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies, yea, and also give us strength that we might retain our cities, and our lands, and our possessions, for the support of our people” (Alma 58:10). Like his father, he prayed with all his heart to God. The brother of Jared was another prophet who diligently sought the Lord through prayer. He did “cry unto the Lord” multiple times as he sought for guidance and help from God (Ether 1:35, 37). Because of his diligence in prayer, he also heard the voice of the Lord that directed him and his people. Later when they were on the barges traveling to the promised land, he prayed constantly: “And they did sing praises unto the Lord; yea, the brother of Jared did sing praises unto the Lord, and he did thank and praise the Lord all the day long; and when the night came, they did not cease to praise the Lord” (Ether 6:9). He was so full of gratitude for the Lord’s guidance and help that he praised the Lord all day long. All of these examples highlight that prophets must pray with all their hearts to the Lord and do not get easy answers any more than we do. The Book of Mormon invites us all to follow their example: “Pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart" (Moroni 7:48).  

 

Comments

Popular Posts