Alma and the Manifestations of the Spirit

It has often been noted that when Alma spoke of his conversion and how he knew the things of God, he said this, “Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me” (Alma 5:46). He did not say that it was because he had seen an angel, which he had; rather, it was the Holy Ghost which spoke the truth to him. What is impressive to me is just how often he spoke of hearing the Spirit and being led by the Holy Ghost. He clearly did the spiritual work needed to hear the voice of the Lord.

               We have many accounts in the Book of Mormon when Alma showed he relied upon the Spirit of the Lord. When speaking to the people of Gideon, he said, “The Spirit hath not said unto me that this should be the case. Now as to this thing I do not know; but this much I do know, that the Lord God hath power to do all things which are according to his word. But behold, the Spirit hath said this much unto me, saying: Cry unto this people, saying—Repent ye, and prepare the way of the Lord, and walk in his paths, which are straight” (Alma 7:8-9). He also said to them, “And whosoever doeth this, and keepeth the commandments of God from thenceforth, the same will remember that I say unto him, yea, he will remember that I have said unto him, he shall have eternal life, according to the testimony of the Holy Spirit, which testifieth in me. And now my beloved brethren, do you believe these things? Behold, I say unto you, yea, I know that ye believe them; and the way that I know that ye believe them is by the manifestation of the Spirit which is in me” (Alma 7:16-17). He could hear the voice of the Lord and testify powerfully to this people because of it. He similarly said to the people of Zarahemla, “Yea, thus saith the Spirit: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand; yea, the Son of God cometh in his glory, in his might, majesty, power, and dominion. Yea, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, that the Spirit saith: Behold the glory of the King of all the earth; and also the King of heaven shall very soon shine forth among all the children of men. And also the Spirit saith unto me, yea, crieth unto me with a mighty voice, saying: Go forth and say unto this people—Repent, for except ye repent ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, the Spirit saith: Behold, the ax is laid at the root of the tree” (Alma 5:50-52). Four times in this short section he witnessed what the Spirit was saying to him and to them.

               Other passages similarly show that Alma was close to the Spirit and knew how to hear that voice. When they were in Ammonihah and Amulek wondered what they should do as the believers were dying, “Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory” (Alma 14:11). He knew how to act because he could hear the voice of the Lord. When Ammonihah was subsequently destroyed by the Lamanites and the Nephites went to battle against them, the Nephite commander went to Alma to have him inquire of the Lord to know what to do. We read, “Now Zoram and his two sons, knowing that Alma was high priest over the church, and having heard that he had the spirit of prophecy, therefore they went unto him and desired of him to know whither the Lord would that they should go into the wilderness in search of their brethren, who had been taken captive by the Lamanites. And it came to pass that Alma inquired of the Lord concerning the matter” (Alma 16:5-6). Because he knew how to hear the voice of the Lord, Zoram went to him to know what to do. When Alma went to preach to the Zoramites with other missionaries, they relied upon the Spirit: “Now it came to pass that when Alma had said these words, that he clapped his hands upon all them who were with him. And behold, as he clapped his hands upon them, they were filled with the Holy Spirit” (Alma 31:36). Alma was led by the Spirit to give his sons some of his final counsel. To Shiblon he said, “Now, my son, I would not that ye should think that I know these things of myself, but it is the Spirit of God which is in me which maketh these things known unto me; for if I had not been born of God I should not have known these things” (Alma 38:6). His knowledge of the things of God came because of the Holy Ghost that was in him. He boldly spoke to Corianton because he heard the voice prompting him to do so: “And now the Spirit of the Lord doth say unto me: Command thy children to do good, lest they lead away the hearts of many people to destruction; therefore I command you, my son, in the fear of God, that ye refrain from your iniquities” (Alma 39:12). Alma clearly knew how to hear the voice of the Lord and heed its promptings. Alma’s life and teachings is an example to all of us, inviting us to similarly seek to hear and heed the voice of the Spirit so we too can “know these things of [ourselves]… by his Holy Spirit” and “the spirit of revelation” which can be in us.  

Comments

Popular Posts