The Greatest Good

In the midst of the busyness of life I often ask myself what things I should be doing that are of the most value. Since I cannot do all the things I would like, what activities should I focus on to do the most good in the world? The Doctrine and Covenants gives I think one general and repeated answer to this question. To Oliver Cowdery and Hyrum Smith both the Lord said this in separate revelations in 1829: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be unto you; and if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation” (Doctrine and Covenants 6:8, 11:8). The next verse of both sections gives the key to how they would do “much good” in their generation: “Say nothing but repentance unto this generation; keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed.” Through preaching repentance and keeping the commandments of the Lord, they would be enabled to do much good among their fellowmen. Not long afterwards the Lord said something similar to John and Peter Whitmer in separate revelations: “And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father” (Doctrine and Covenants 15:6, 16:6). For all of these early brethren, the Lord’s counsel was that the thing they could do of most worth to do good was to preach repentance to the people. Helping bring souls back to Him—including our own—is the greatest work we can do.

                In a revelation originally to Jesse Gause and subsequently transferred to Frederick G. Williams, the Lord gave more counsel on what was most important to do. He gave this instruction, “Therefore, verily I acknowledge him and will bless him, and also thee, inasmuch as thou art faithful in counsel, in the office which I have appointed unto you, in prayer always, vocally and in thy heart, in public and in private, also in thy ministry in proclaiming the gospel in the land of the living, and among thy brethren.” He then summarized, “And in doing these things thou wilt do the greatest good unto thy fellow beings, and wilt promote the glory of him who is your Lord.” Thus to do the “greatest good” Frederick G. Williams was to pray always and proclaim the gospel throughout the land. The next verse I think expands what it means to proclaim the gospel: “Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees” (Doctrine and Covenants 81:3-5). To proclaim the gospel includes succoring the weak, strengthening the feeble, and helping those who are down. In short, it is again to “bring souls to [Him]”—that is the greatest work that we can do. When all is said and done, all earthly accomplishments will pale in comparison to our efforts to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ through our prayers, through our words, and through our deeds of service. Perhaps what we should ask ourselves as we struggle to prioritize our daily lives is this: “Who can I pray for? Who can I strengthen? Who can I share the gospel with?” Those efforts will not be lost on the Lord who promises that as we bring souls to Him we “will rest with them in the kingdom of [the] Father."   

Comments

Popular Posts