Revelation Upon Revelation

In the midst of confusion about who could receive revelations to guide the church, the Lord revealed this: “For behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, that ye have received a commandment for a law unto my church, through him whom I have appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations from my hand. And this ye shall know assuredly—that there is none other appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations until he be taken, if he abide in me” (Doctrine and Covenants 43:2-3). Joseph Smith was the only one who could receive commandments and revelations for the whole church. But the Lord was also clear that all could receive revelations for themselves. In the law of the church revealed to the Prophet in what is now section 42, the Savior declared, “If thou shalt ask, thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things—that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal” (42:61). One of the themes of the Doctrine and Covenants is that the Lord is willing to grant all of His faithful Saints revelations to guide them. Though only those ordained with keys should reveal the word of the Lord for all the Saints, all the Saints can receive the word of the Lord for themselves.

                Many other passages of the Doctrine and Covenants confirm the Lord’s willingness to give each of us revelations. In the Lord’s preface He declared this desire: “that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world” (1:20). He wants all to be able to speak in His name, having received knowledge from Him. In other revelations He made this promise: “Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich” (6:7, 11:7). The Lord is willing to give His mysteries to all the Saints who seek them. He told Oliver Cowdery, “Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart. Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation” (8:2-3). The Saints in Zion received this promise: “Yea, blessed are they whose feet stand upon the land of Zion, who have obeyed my gospel…. And they shall also be crowned with blessings from above, yea, and with commandments not a few, and with revelations in their time—they that are faithful and diligent before me” (59:3-4). The faithful will receive revelations from God. In the vision of the degrees of glory Joseph received this incredible promise from the Lord: “I, the Lord, am merciful and gracious unto those who fear me, and delight to honor those who serve me in righteousness and in truth unto the end…. And to them will I reveal all mysteries, yea, all the hidden mysteries of my kingdom from days of old, and for ages to come, will I make known unto them the good pleasure of my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom” (76:5,7). Jared Carter was given this assurance: “And I will send upon him the Comforter, which shall teach him the truth and the way whither he shall go” (79:2). In the Olive Leaf revelation the Lord gave this invitation: “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you” (88:63). In Liberty Jail the Prophet Joseph recorded this promise for the faithful: “God shall give unto you knowledge by his Holy Spirit, yea, by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost, that has not been revealed since the world was until now…. The doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven. The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion” (121:26, 45-46). Though the Lord was clear that only the prophet could receive revelations and commandments for the whole church, over and over in the Doctrine and Covenants the Lord promised that all the faithful Saints can receive knowledge and revelation from Him.   

Comments

Popular Posts