A Sanctuary of Faith

The other night I had a dream that President Nelson came to our home. He gave us each a hug and then left—I don’t think he even said anything as far as I recall. I’m not sure if the dream was supposed to mean something, but as I have reflected on it I have thought that it was probably accurate in terms of what President Nelson would do if we met him. He would in some way express his love and seek to help and comfort us. He said in the last general conference after describing the various struggles that members of the church have had throughout this past year: “My heart goes out to each one of you who has suffered these or other losses. I pray constantly that the Lord will comfort you.” He ended the same talk with an “expression of love for each of you.” In his welcome message he similarly said, “I love you, my dear brothers and sisters, and testify that our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son know and love you individually.” In another message he spoke of his efforts to pray for us: “I pray constantly that, through it all, you will feel the Lord’s unfailing love for you.” And in the final talk of the conference he similarly expressed: “As we close this conference, we again express our love for you. We pray that God will shower His blessings and watchcare upon each of you.” My dream was a reminder that President Nelson indeed loves and cares for us, and most importantly, that the Lord Himself likewise has “unfailing love” for each of us.

                My brief dream of getting a hug from President Nelson was also a reminder to me that I should more freely and more often express my love and concern for my family in our home. In his message in the Priesthood session of conference President Nelson encouraged us to make our homes the “center of faith and worship.” He commented, “As our ability to gather… has been restricted in varying degrees, we have learned that one of the holiest of places on earth is the home—yes, even your home.” He continued, “You may feel that there is still more you need to do to make your home truly a sanctuary of faith. If so, please do it! If you are married, counsel with your wife as your equal partner in this crucial work. There are few pursuits more important than this. Between now and the time the Lord comes again, we all need our homes to be places of serenity and security.” I was struck by this statement that “there are few pursuits more important” than making our homes a sanctuary of faith. Surely a major part of that effort is for each of us in our home to express and show more love and concern for one another. This reminds me of the counsel that the Savior gave to Newel K. Whitney about his own home: “My servant Newel K. Whitney also, a bishop of my church, hath need to be chastened, and set in order his family, and see that they are more diligent and concerned at home, and pray always” (Doctrine and Covenants 93:50). Surely we all need to be more diligent and concerned at home in making it a place of love and peace. I have always loved Mormon’s description of how Alma took care of Amulek in his home: “[Alma] took Amulek and came over to the land of Zarahemla, and took him to his own house, and did administer unto him in his tribulations, and strengthened him in the Lord” (Alma 15:18). That is the same work we should be doing in our homes, administering to our family members in their tribulations with love and strengthening them in the Lord. 

                Living in a home with small children and the chaos that naturally accompanies that can make it at times hard to feel like the home is anything close to holy. Perhaps the most important thing we need to make our homes sanctuaries is what President Nelson expressed: more love for everyone. Mormon said this about his feelings, “And I am filled with charity, which is everlasting love; wherefore, all children are alike unto me; wherefore, I love little children with a perfect love” (Moroni 8:17). I know I need to strive to more fully feel that charity towards my children and to help them know that they are indeed loved of the Lord and me. Less lectures and more hugs is surely needed in our homes as we seek to make them sanctuaries from the harshness of the world outside.  

Comments

Popular Posts