Jacob's Love for His People

I’m impressed by the love and concern that Jacob in the Book of Mormon showed for his people. We see this in particular in his language in the masterful discourse of 2 Nephi 9. He clearly yearned to help his people to choose righteousness and come unto the Lord. Eight times in the chapter he called them his beloved brethren: “And now, my beloved brethren, I have read these things that ye might know concerning the covenants of the Lord…. Behold, my beloved brethren, I speak unto you these things that ye may rejoice, and lift up your heads forever…. O, my beloved brethren, remember the awfulness in transgressing against that Holy God…. O, my beloved brethren, give ear to my words…. O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One…. O, my beloved brethren, remember my words…. O, my beloved brethren, turn away from your sins…. Behold, my beloved brethren, remember the words of your God” (v1,3,39-41,44-45,52). His words the next day recorded in the subsequent chapter contain three additional times when he called them beloved. They were truly loved by him and he sought with all his heart to help and bless them.  

                Many other passages show the love that Jacob had for his people. His first recorded words include this: “Behold, my beloved brethren… I speak unto you again; for I am desirous for the welfare of your souls. Yea, mine anxiety is great for you; and ye yourselves know that it ever has been” (2 Nephi 6:2-3). He had great anxiety for his people because he loved them, and this led him to seek their salvation: “We labored diligently among our people, that we might persuade them to come unto Christ, and partake of the goodness of God, that they might enter into his rest” (Jacob 1:7). When he was led to call them to repentance he showed how much he cared for them: “It grieveth me that I must use so much boldness of speech concerning you.” He mourned that his words might cause them pain as he called them to forsake sin, but he was diligent in doing what the Lord asked in hopes that it would be for the benefit of his people  (Jacob 2:7). He encouraged them in these words: “Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.” He did everything he could for them; he “ministered much” to the people and he did “labor diligently to engraven these words upon plates.” He again called them his “beloved” and spoke of his “over anxiety” for them (Jacob 3:1,3,18). His plea to his people is filled with his deep feelings: “Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness that ye would repent, and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts” (Jacob 6:5). He yearned for them to choose Christ and be reconciled to the Lord, and his words invite us to the same end. He is a powerful example of love and devoted service that we should follow as we seek to bless those around us.    

Comments

Popular Posts