The Alms of Your Prayers

The Lord began the revelation now recorded in section 88 of the Doctrine and Covenants with these words: “Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you who have assembled yourselves together to receive his will concerning you: Behold, this is pleasing unto your Lord, and the angels rejoice over you; the alms of your prayers have come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded in the book of the names of the sanctified” (v1-2). The words “alms of your prayers” is an interesting phrase; alms typically denotes some kind of charity that is given, so what are the alms of our prayers? The Lord connected these two ideas in another revelation to Thomas B. Marsh when He said, “Verily thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Thomas: I have heard thy prayers; and thine alms have come up as a memorial before me, in behalf of those, thy brethren” (Doctrine and Covenants 112:1). Perhaps these alms are the actions that our prayers lead us to do which give evidence that what we are praying for is truly what we desire. For example, when we pray earnestly for someone, we also try to do everything we can to help them that is in our power. Amulek suggested specifically that there is a link between our prayers for others and our efforts to help them. After telling us to “call upon his holy name” and “cry unto him for mercy” and “continue in prayer unto him” and to pray in the different circumstances we find ourselves in, he said this: “And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain” (Alma 34:17-28). In other words, without showing charity towards others and doing alms, our prayers will be of little power. So perhaps as we prayer earnestly for the Lord’s help in our lives, we should ask ourselves what the “alms of our prayers” are that we are willing to do as evidence that we truly desire what we are praying for.

These verses are also a testimony from the Lord that He indeed hears our prayers. As we sincerely petition the Lord, showing in word and deed that we desire His help and want to commune with Him, He hears our prayers and does answer. I love that in the Doctrine and Covenants He has testified to this numerous times. The Lord said this of the Prophet Joseph: “Him have I inspired to move the cause of Zion in mighty power for good, and his diligence I know, and his prayers I have heard” (Doctrine and Covenants 21:7). Of Sidney Rigdon the Lord said, “Behold, verily, verily, I say unto my servant Sidney, I have looked upon thee and thy works. I have heard thy prayers, and prepared thee for a greater work” (Doctrine and Covenants 35:3). In another revelation the Lord said, “I have heard your prayers” (Doctrine and Covenants 38:16). Of Sidney Gilbert the Savior witnessed that He knew exactly what he was praying for, “Behold, I say unto you, my servant Sidney Gilbert, that I have heard your prayers; and you have called upon me that it should be made known unto you, of the Lord your God, concerning your calling and election in the church” (Doctrine and Covenants 53:1). Of a group of Saints assembled together the Lord similarly said, “I have heard their prayers” (Doctrine and Covenants 105:19).

The Lord also gave a powerful witness to Oliver Cowdery that He had indeed heard His prayers. In a revelation to Oliver after he had come to Harmony to help Joseph with the translation of the Book of Mormon, the Lord told him this: “As often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit…. Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth; Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that knowest thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart…. Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things. Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter?” (Doctrine and Covenants 6:14-16, 22-23) All of these scriptures testify that God hears our sincere prayers. As we seek to show him the “alms” of our prayers and earnestly solicit Him through prayer, He will hear us and answer us in His time.

Comments

Popular Posts