A School and Temple

Section 97 of the Doctrine and Covenants was given as tensions started to escalate in Jackson County and a few months before the Saints were eventually driven out from Zion. Given that context, it is interesting to me what the Lord focused on as He gave His “will concerning your brethren in the land of Zion.” Even though they were in the midst of a crisis, He focused first on the need for a school among them: “Behold, I say unto you, concerning the school in Zion, I, the Lord, am well pleased that there should be a school in Zion. and also with my servant Parley P. Pratt, for he abideth in me. And inasmuch as he continueth to abide in me he shall continue to preside over the school in the land of Zion until I shall give unto him other commandments” (v1-4). He used the word school five times in only a few verses, emphasizing His commitment to the Saints’ need to learn. Even when they were seriously struggling, the Lord wanted them to understand the importance of cultivating learning in the society they were building.

               In conjunction with the focus on establishing a school, the Lord also emphasized the importance of building a temple in this revelation. He said, “Verily I say unto you, that it is my will that a house should be built unto me in the land of Zion, like unto the pattern which I have given you. Yea, let it be built speedily, by the tithing of my people.” And what was the house to be for? It was at least in part to be a place for them to learn: “Behold, this is the tithing and the sacrifice which I, the Lord, require at their hands, that there may be a house built unto me for the salvation of Zion—For a place of thanksgiving for all saints, and for a place of instruction for all those who are called to the work of the ministry in all their several callings and offices; That they may be perfected in the understanding of their ministry, in theory, in principle, and in doctrine, in all things pertaining to the kingdom of God on the earth, the keys of which kingdom have been conferred upon you” (v12-14). The Lord was anxious to teach the saints in Zion, and He needed a temple to do that fully. So while the Saints were struggling in some serious ways in Zion, the Lord emphasized what would help them most: a school and a temple. Surely that is also a lesson for us today. No matter what challenges or crises we face, a focus on learning and worshiping in the temple will help us overcome them. Then we have this promise from the Lord: “And I will bless her with blessings, and multiply a multiplicity of blessings upon her, and upon her generations forever and ever, saith the Lord your God” (v28).        

 

Comments

Popular Posts