Be Still and Know that I Am God

To my daughter,

                This week’s Come, Follow Me reading includes this profound instruction from the Savior to the saints in 1833 after they had been driven out of Jackson County, Missouri: “Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God” (Doctrine and Covenants 101:16). This is your grandmother’s favorite scripture and is one that I encourage you to take to heart. At this time when their lives were turned upset down and they had to move at the peril of their lives, the Lord’s counsel for them and for those in Kirtland worried about them was to be still and trust in Him. I believe the Lord would tell us the same thing today no matter what problems we face. But I know that it can be difficult to really take the time to “be still” and to commune with God. We have so many distractions which keep us from focusing on that which is most important, but we must find the time each day to read in the scriptures, pray, and think about the things of God. I encourage you to continue to read your scriptures daily and to ponder the words that you read. In other words, try to think about what you read and ask yourself questions about what the Lord is trying to teach you. That is one way that we can “be still”—we focus our thoughts on Him and His word without other distractions. As you do so, you will indeed know that He is God, that He loves you, and that you are His daughter. This will inspire you to want to live better and be the person that He wants you to become.

                I remember one time many years ago when I was struggling with some inner turmoil about some things that someone, a friend, had told me about my actions and my future. I was struggling to process all that had been said and was very disturbed. I was in a busy place ready to return home from somewhere, and I sat there and read many sections in the Doctrine and Covenants. I was particularly moved by this verse and even recorded it in my journal at the time: “Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that knowest thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart” (Doctrine and Covenants 6:16). I distinctly remember feeling the peace I sought as that verse penetrated my soul and helped me to set aside what was bothering me. As I was still, even amidst all of those people in a busy airport, I felt the Spirit reassure me and teach me truth. I encourage you to likewise open your scriptures and ponder the words of the Lord as you are frustrated or have questions or fears or worries. They are our best source of comfort and peace because they will bring to us the Comforter which will “speak peace to our souls” (Alma 58:11). Throughout your life you will surely have many challenges to face, but you can conquer them all if you seek each day to be still and know that He is God and that He is always watching over you.

Love,

Dad   

Comments

Popular Posts