In His Presence

In her recent talk in general conference, Sister Susan Porter said this: “God’s love is not found in the circumstances of our lives but in His presence in our lives. We know of His love when we receive strength beyond our own and when His Spirit brings peace, comfort, and direction. At times it may be difficult to feel His love. We can pray to have our eyes opened to see His hand in our lives and to see His love in the beauty of His creations.” I think in all our relationships we are tempted to base love on circumstances when it is really the presence of others we should focus on. For example, we might express more love for our children when they listen to us better or for our spouse when they do something in particular for us. But a deeper and more abiding love is that in which we simply rejoice in their presence with us. And we love the Savior most deeply not because of a particular blessing in our life He has granted us but because He is ever present with us. He encouraged His disciples in these words: “If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him” (John 14:23). Even as we go through trials, even as we face frustrating situations, instead of focusing on wishing He would change them we can simply rejoice that He is with us through them all.     

                 A promise that is repeated numerous times in the Doctrine and Covenants is that the Savior is indeed with us as we trust in Him. He told John Whitmer, “You shall ever open your mouth in my cause, not fearing what man can do, for I am with you” (Doctrine and Covenants 30:11). To Thomas B. March the Savior said, “Be faithful unto the end, and lo, I am with you. These words are not of man nor of men, but of me, even Jesus Christ, your Redeemer” (Doctrine and Covenants 31:13). To two other missionaries He similarly said, “Yea, open your mouths and spare not, and you shall be laden with sheaves upon your backs, for lo, I am with you” (Doctrine and Covenants 33:9). Orson Pratt received this promise from the Redeemer: “And if you are faithful, behold, I am with you until I come” (Doctrine and Covenants 34:11). To William McLellin He said this: “he that is faithful shall be made strong in every place; and I, the Lord, will go with you” (Doctrine and Covenants 66:8). Joseph and Sidney received these words of encouragement from the Lord when they were away from their families: “Therefore, continue your journey and let your hearts rejoice; for behold, and lo, I am with you even unto the end” (Doctrine and Covenants 100:12). To Zion’s Camp He said almost the same thing: “Therefore, be faithful; and behold, and lo, I am with you even unto the end” (Doctrine and Covenants 105:41). Lyman Sherman received this promise: “And behold, and lo, I am with you to bless you and deliver you forever” (Doctrine and Covenants 108:8). The Lord gave these comforting words to Thomas B. Marsh, “Wherefore, whithersoever they shall send you, go ye, and I will be with you” (Doctrine and Covenants 112:19). Whatever we do in His service, He promises to be with us.

As we strive to live the gospel we don’t expect to be without trials, but we can expect to be with Him in whatever happens. To all of us these powerful words should give us great hope: “Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come” (Doctrine and Covenants 68:6). As we seek to be faithful, His promise is that He will be with us through all of our experiences. To His apostles He promised, “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you…. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 14:18, 16:33). We love Him not because He takes away all troubles but because He is present with us through all our struggles. And we should love those closest to us not because they do this or that thing for us but because we simply have joy in their presence.  

Comments

Popular Posts