Christ's Words in the Book of Mormon


Yesterday I wrote about how the words of the Book of Mormon are of great worth because we have a record of what the Savior directly said to the Nephites.  Those handful of chapters in 3 Nephi alone make it a priceless treasure.  Throughout the rest of the Book of Mormon we also have many other direct quotations of the Savior which are likewise of great worth unto us.  One of these is the testimony of the premortal Christ to the brother of Jared.  He declared, “Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters” (Ether 3:14).  From this we learn the great truth that the plan of salvation is the same for all men in whatever time they lived—whether they came before, during, or after the Savior’s life, the path to eternal life is the same: through the redemption offered by Jesus Christ.  The words of the Savior given us through the brother of Jared testify that no matter what our problem we are trying to solve is, it is through Jesus Christ that help and salvation come. 

               Many other Nephite prophets gave us directly the words of Jesus Christ in addition to their own testimonies of Him.  Nephi recorded, “And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do” (2 Nephi 31:12).  His invitation always has been and always will be to follow Him.  Alma (the Elder) also gave us these powerful words of Jesus Christ: “For it is I that taketh upon me the sins of the world; for it is I that hath created them; and it is I that granteth unto him that believeth unto the end a place at my right hand. For behold, in my name are they called; and if they know me they shall come forth, and shall have a place eternally at my right hand” (Mosiah 26:23-24).  The Savior bore testimony that He took upon Himself our sins and that as we come unto Him and are called by His name we will have eternal life.  After the anguish of repentance from his own sins, Alma’s son Alma likewise received for himself direct words from the Savior about redemption: “Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters” (Mosiah 26:23-24). 
Other Book of Mormon prophets gave us words of the Savior concerning the blessings that come through faith in Him.  Nephi, son of Helaman, gave us these words from the Savior to Him showing us the kind of blessing that will come to the righteous: “And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.  Behold, thou art Nephi, and I am God” (Helaman 10:5-6).  What a powerful witness of the blessing that obedience to and faith in Jesus Christ can bring to us!  Moroni quoted the Savior on this topic this way: “And Christ truly said unto our fathers: If ye have faith ye can do all things which are expedient unto me” (Moroni 10:23).  Mormon similarly left us these words of the Savior: “Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you” (Moroni 7:26).  Through faith in Him the Savior promises us that we can do all things that are expedient in Him.      
Nephi’s son Nephi gave us these words from the Savior shortly before His birth in mortality, giving hope in His coming and a window into the anticipation He had to come and do His Father’s will: “Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets. Behold, I come unto my own, to fulfil all things which I have made known unto the children of men from the foundation of the world, and to do the will, both of the Father and of the Son—of the Father because of me, and of the Son because of my flesh. And behold, the time is at hand, and this night shall the sign be given” (3 Nephi 1:13-14).  What a powerful witness of the Savior’s condescension and love for His people!  These passages and many others that give us directly the voice of Jesus Christ indeed make the words of the Book of Mormon of “great worth” to all the children of men.  In it we can indeed “hear Him!”       

Comments

Popular Posts