Hold On a Little While Longer

One of my favorite stories told in general conference was the one by Elder Carl B. Cook about his experience as a new general authority at a stake conference. He was to preside for his first time and had planned everything out, but shortly before it was to take place President Boyd K. Packer called him and asked if he could join the conference. So President Packer presided and “suggested that we undo the plans and prepare to follow the Spirit.” Elder Cook recounted what happened at the leadership meeting, the first of the conference: “President Packer spoke for the first 15 minutes and emphasized the importance of conducting all meetings as guided by the Holy Spirit. He then said, ‘We will now hear from Elder Cook.’ On my way to the pulpit, I asked how long he would like me to take and if there was a topic he would like me to address. He said, ‘Take 15 minutes and carry on as you feel inspired.’ I took about 14 minutes and shared everything I had on my mind. President Packer stood again and spoke for another 15 minutes. He shared this scripture: ‘Speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men; For it shall be given you … in the very moment, what ye shall say.’ Then he said, ‘We will now hear from Elder Cook.’” He continued, “I was shocked. I had never considered the possibility that I would be asked to speak twice in one meeting. I didn’t have anything in mind to say. Praying fervently and relying on the Lord for help, somehow, I was blessed with a thought, a scripture, and I was able to speak for another 15 minutes. I sat down totally exhausted.” But it wasn’t over for him. After President Packer spoke for another 15 minutes, Elder Cook recounted, “As you can imagine, I was overwhelmed when he was impressed to say for the third time, ‘We will now hear from Elder Cook.’ I was empty. I had nothing. I knew it was time to exercise more faith. Slowly, I made my way to the pulpit, pleading to God for help. As I stepped up to the microphone, the Lord miraculously blessed me to somehow give another 15-minute message.” He told of how he wanted to run after that, knowing that the adult meeting was up next. But he resisted the temptation and pressed forward, again speaking three times in that meeting at President Packer’s invitation. After speaking once more in the general session that made seven times he had addressed the members of that stake in two days. He concluded the story, “After the conference, President Packer said with affection, ‘Let’s do it again sometime.’ I love President Boyd K. Packer and appreciate all that I learned.”

                The point of Elder Cook’s message was to encourage us even when it is hard and we want to turn back. He commented, “If I had given in to my desperate desire to escape from those meetings, I would have missed an opportunity to increase my faith and receive a rich outpouring of love and support from my Heavenly Father…. Regardless of the size, scope, and seriousness of the challenges we face in life, we all have times when we feel like stopping, leaving, escaping, or possibly giving up. But exercising faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ, helps us overcome discouragement no matter what obstacles we encounter. Just as the Savior finished the work He was given to do, He has the power to help us finish the work we have been given.” His words remind me of one of my all-time favorite talks, one given by Elder Holland when he was president of BYU titled However Long and Hard the Road. After telling of the incredible perseverance that was required of the early Saints to build the Salt Lake Temple, he gave these words of encouragement to us: “Blood, toil, tears, and sweat. The best things are always worth finishing. ‘Know ye not that ye are the temple of God?’ (1 Corinthians 3:16). Most assuredly you are. As long and laborious as the effort may seem, please keep shaping and setting the stones that will make your accomplishment ‘a grand and imposing spectacle’ Take advantage of every opportunity to learn and grow. Dream dreams and see visions. Work toward their realization. Wait patiently when you have no other choice. Lean on your sword and rest a while, but get up and fight again. Perhaps you will not see the full meaning of your effort in your own lifetime. But your children will, or your children’s children will, until finally you, with all of them, can give the Hosanna shout.”

Elder Holland’s message and that of Elder Cook were meant to inspire us to keep on in the path of faith no matter how hard the journey. Despite the challenges we face, it is always better to hold fast to the rod and keep pushing forward “with a steadfastness in Christ” (2 Nephi 31:20). Like the righteous Nephites in a difficult time, we need “steadiness” in our pursuit of a Christlike life no matter what difficulties surround us (Alma 1:29). I love Elder Holland’s application of an unlikely source of encouragement from the life of the wicked Coriantumr at the end of the destruction of the Jaredites: “And it came to pass that when they had all fallen by the sword, save it were Coriantumr and Shiz, behold Shiz had fainted with the loss of blood. And it came to pass that when Coriantumr had leaned upon his sword, that he rested a little, he smote off the head of Shiz” (Ether 15:29-30). Gratefully most of us are not involved in mortal combat, but each of us might indeed need to lean on our figurative swords, rest a little, and keep persevering in our struggle to live the gospel and keep our covenants with the Savior. Elder Cook finished his message with these words: “We can be blessed to move forward along the covenant path, no matter how rocky it becomes, and eventually receive eternal life. As the Prophet Joseph Smith said, ‘Stand fast, ye Saints of God, hold on a little while longer, and the storm of life will be past, and you will be rewarded by that God whose servants you are.’”    

Comments

Popular Posts