He Had Seen a Vision

To my daughter, 

                One of my favorite stories in the New Testament is that of the apostle Paul testifying before King Agrippa. Paul was being held as a prisoner in Jerusalem, but even then, every chance he got he bore testimony of Jesus Christ. Luke recorded how he had the opportunity to tell his story to King Agrippa, a Roman leader. Paul, originally named Saul, recounted how he had been converted on the road to Damascus many years before: “Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutes.” Jesus revealed to Saul in this incredible heavenly manifestation who He was, and it was at that point that Saul realized that he was on the wrong track. His repentance began as he turned to the Savior, and he subsequently devoted his life to serving the Lord. This moment before King Agrippa was decades later, and during all those years he had faithfully declared the gospel as a missionary, traveling thousands of miles across the world to bear witness of Jesus Christ and His resurrection. I love what he then said to this Roman ruler: “Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judæa, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance” (Acts 26:12-15, 19-20). Paul had lived his life faithful to the revelation he had received from Jesus Christ, even though he had faced enormous opposition. Here he was, likely in chains, with many people wanting to kill him, and yet he would not deny what he knew about Jesus Christ.

                In our dispensation, the Prophet Joseph Smith similarly had a vision in which Jesus Christ was revealed to him. We call this the First Vision when Heavenly Father and the Savior appeared to him as a young boy in the sacred grove. When Joseph sought to share that experience with others, like Paul he faced enormous opposition. He was surprised that telling the truth could result in so much hatred and persecution towards him, but he found comfort in the words and example of Paul. He wrote, “I have thought since, that I felt much like Paul, when he made his defense before King Agrippa, and related the account of the vision he had when he saw a light, and heard a voice; but still there were but few who believed him; some said he was dishonest, others said he was mad; and he was ridiculed and reviled. But all this did not destroy the reality of his vision. He had seen a vision, he knew he had, and all the persecution under heaven could not make it otherwise; and though they should persecute him unto death, yet he knew, and would know to his latest breath, that he had both seen a light and heard a voice speaking unto him, and all the world could not make him think or believe otherwise.” Paul had been faithful to the Savior up until his dying breath and through countless hardships—nothing could persuade him from the truth of the vision he had received. Joseph realized that he could do the same and gained strength from Paul’s example: “So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation” (JSH 1:24-25). Both Joseph and Paul are powerful examples to us of staying true to what we know and have experienced. I want you to know that you will encounter those in your life who will seek to destroy your faith in God and who will try to deter you from following the Savior’s path in this life. In those moments, remember the faithfulness of Paul and the Prophet Joseph and stay true to what the Holy Ghost tells you in your heart. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that Joseph Smith was truly called by Him as a prophet in our time. The scriptures are true, and as you read and study them you too will now these things from the Spirit.  

Love,

Dad  

Comments

Popular Posts