The Worth of Souls is Great

To my daughter,

                One of the apostles when I was growing up was Elder Neal A. Maxwell. He was an incredible man, and I really enjoyed listening to his talks in general conference. He gave his final address shortly before I left on my mission, and he passed away while I was in the Missionary Training Center. I have often reread that final talk because it meant so much to me, and I especially love what he said at the very end. I hope you can take these words to heart: “I testify to you that God has known you individually, brethren, for a long, long time (see D&C 93:23). He has loved you for a long, long time. He not only knows the names of all the stars (see Ps. 147:4; Isa. 40:26); He knows your names and all your heartaches and your joys! By the way, you have never seen an immortal star; they finally expire. But seated by you tonight are immortal individuals—imperfect but who are, nevertheless, ‘trying to be like Jesus’!” I hope that you know that these things are true: God knows and loves you individually and that He is aware of everything you do. He has known you for much longer than you can fathom. You may have learned in school that stars last for a very long time. For example, our sun is expected to last for another 5 billion years before it dies. That is a long time! But your spirit will outlive even that because you are an immortal daughter of God and will live forever. I hope that you will feel the truth of the words of the Young Women Theme as you learn it: “I am a beloved daughter of heavenly parents, with a divine nature and eternal destiny.”     

                I encourage you come to understand your great worth in the eyes of your Father in Heaven and your Savior Jesus Christ. It is easy sometimes to get down on ourselves when we see others who seem more talented or smarter or more accomplished, but I want you to know that your worth is infinite and that you are loved personally by the Father and the Son. The Savior declared, “Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God” (Doctrine and Covenants 18:10). He also taught during His mortal ministry, “Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows” (Luke 12:6-7). In other words, the Savior was declaring that God notices and watches over even the birds which are sold at a very cheap price (two farthings). He does not forget any of His creations, and He certainly will not forget you who are created in His image. You “are of more value than many sparrows” and He watches over you! The apostle Paul spoke of the love that Jesus has for each of us, and I love these words: “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?... For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:35, 38-39). I hope that you know that you know that Christ loves you, and nothing can change that. Nothing can separate you from His love if you want to receive it, and whatever trials you face in life, you can turn to Him for strength and assurance and help. You have a divine potential to do great things in this life, and I hope that you will always remember that with Him, nothing will be impossible to you.  

Love,

Dad     

Comments

Popular Posts