Confidence in Salvation

In this most recent general conference, Elder Randall Bennett said, “My heart sank during a recent meeting with wonderful Latter-day Saints. The question was asked, ‘Who desires to live with Heavenly Father again?’ Every hand went up. The next question was ‘Who has confidence you’ll succeed?’ Sadly and surprisingly, most hands went down” (Your Next Step).  So how should we answer that question?  Is it a sign of pride to say yes?  Absolutely not—it is a sign of true faith in Jesus Christ to trust that we will succeed in returning to our Father in Heaven. That’s certainly how Lehi saw it.  He said to his son Jacob, “Wherefore, I know that thou art redeemed, because of the righteousness of thy Redeemer” (2 Nephi 2:3).  It wasn’t because Jacob was so good that Lehi trusted he would be saved; no, it was because he knew of the goodness and power of the Savior.  

                There are many examples in the scriptures showing this same kind of faith in the ability to return to God and receive salvation.  For example, Mormon described a time in Nephite history this way, “And it came to pass that there were many who died, firmly believing that their souls were redeemed by the Lord Jesus Christ; thus they went out of the world rejoicing” (Alma 46:39).  It wasn’t because they were certain of their own righteousness.  No, it was because they had enough confidence in Jesus Christ to know that He would redeem their souls as long as they were on the path and headed in the right direction.  Enos also showed his trust that he would gain salvation. He finished his writing with these words: “And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father” (Enos 1:27).  Enos had enough mortal experience with the Lord that he had great faith that he would indeed be saved and dwell with his Father.  Moroni seems to have had the same assurance.  He finished his writing in the Book of Mormon saying, “I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air” (Moroni 10:34).  Moroni knew that Christ’s grace is “sufficient for you” and that “by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ” (Moroni 10:32).  Paul similarly expressed his confidence in the Savior and his own salvation when he wrote, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day” (2 Timothy 4:7-8).  His suggestion that there was a “crown of righteousness” awaiting him was not a sign of some great pride; rather, it was a testimony of the trust he placed in the Savior. 
                There are I’m sure many other examples in the scriptures of those who were confident in their own salvation because of their faith in the Savior.  In the Doctrine and Covenants we read, “It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance” (D&C 131:6).  I take that to mean that we will know that we are going to be saved—it will not surprise us that we are saved.  And it is not because we have some assurance that we will never make another mistake but confidence in the Savior who really never did make any mistakes.

Comments

Popular Posts