Music in the Scriptures

The scriptures don’t speak a lot about music, but we have enough references to show that the Lord intends for music to be a source of joy and a form of worship.  For example, Paul believed that music should be a part of what the Saints should do when they gather together and worship the Lord.  To the Ephesians, he wrote, “Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:19).  Similarly to the Colossians he said, “Teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord” (Colossians 3:16). 
In the Book of Mormon we have two references to the way we will worship the Lord in the hereafter through music as well.  Mormon said this, “Whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost” (Mormon 7:7).  In a similar way, King Benjamin said, “At this period of time when I am about to go down to my grave, that I might go down in peace, and my immortal spirit may join the choirs above in singing the praises of a just God” (Mosiah 2:28).  John wrote about how those who were exalted would “sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb” (Revelation 15:13).  I believe those references to choirs and singing are not just symbolic but that real music will permeate the life to come for those who work righteousness here.  The Lord told the Prophet Joseph, “For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me” (D&C 25:12).  If the Lord’s soul delights in music, then surely He makes music a real part of heaven.   

                Music is so powerful that the Lord also uses references to music to help us understand spiritual things.  Isaiah wrote, “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation” (2 Nephi 22:2).  Knowing how influential a song can be to uplift us and stir our hearts helps us understand how the Lord can strengthen and change us.  Alma asked the people of Zarahemla, “And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?” (Alma 5:26)  In other words, can we feel the power and deep conviction of our testimony of the Savior’s redemption just as we feel strong emotions stirred within us as we participate in and hear music?  I know of no other analogy like that of music that can portray the same intensity of feeling and devotion that we need to have in our spiritual lives.  Unparalleled by anything else, music offers to be a real part of our worship and a symbol of the kind of devotion we should give to the Lord. 

Comments

Popular Posts