Our Seed


In Malachi’s famous prophecy he said that the Lord would “turn the heart of the fathers to the children” (Malachi 4:6).  In this last general conference Elder Rasband said, “I am so grateful for a multigenerational Latter-day Saint family, and I know this is a worthy goal for all of us to strive for” (I Stand All Amazed).  Since we can’t change our progenitors, I presume that what he meant was that we should strive for the goal that our children and grandchildren and future posterity will be faithful latter-day Saints.  In other words, our hearts should be turned towards our children. 

                I think that Nephi in the Book of Mormon is one of the clearest examples of someone who turned his heart towards his children.  He was constantly concerned with and writing about the future stat of his descendants.  In only the second chapter of his book the Lord spoke to him about the future state of his seed and the seed of his brethren (1 Nephi 2:23).  As he wrote on the plates Nephi mentioned, “I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men” (1 Nephi 6:6).  He told us that one of the reasons that he wrote was “that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins” (2 Nephi 25:26).  He also was able to view his seed in the great visions that the Lord showed him.  The angel directed him, “Look, and behold thy seed, and also the seed of thy brethren” (1 Nephi 12:1).   He wrote, “I beheld and saw that the seed of my brethren did contend against my seed, according to the word of the angel; and because of the pride of my seed, and the temptations of the devil, I beheld that the seed of my brethren did overpower the people of my seed” (1 Nephi 12:19).
As he saw the events of the last days unfold in his visions, he commented frequently about the future state of his seed.  His love and concern for them was so great that when he saw the future destruction of the Nephites, he wrote, “I was overcome because of my afflictions, for I considered that mine afflictions were great above all, because of the of my people, for I had beheld their fall” (1 Nephi 15:5).  He was so concerned for the righteousness of his seed many generations in the future that he wept and sorrowed for their destructions.  I think there are many other example that we could sight. 
                The Lord told Nephi, “That I may remember the promises which I have made unto thee, Nephi, and also unto thy father, that I would remember your seed” (2 Nephi 29:2).  Nephi, like the Lord. was always thinking about the future and creating the best environment for his posterity to receive the gospel.  His heart was indeed turned towards his children, and he gave us a glimpse of what the Lord can reveal to us regarding our own future posterity.

Comments

Popular Posts