"I Never Said it Would Be Easy"

There’s a relatively common picture/quote combination that is sold by places like Deseret Book that says the following beside an image of Jesus: “I never said it would be easy.  I only said it would be worth it.”  I’ve thought a lot about this statement, and I think I agree with the sentiment.  The life of a covenant disciple of Christ was not meant to be easy, but ultimately it will be the most fulfilling way to live.  And of course the blessings for following the Savior are enormous so we certainly have faith that the path of discipleship will be worth it.  The only problem with the statement, as someone once pointed out to me, is that Christ didn’t actually say that.  I’m sure that the phrase and idea has provided inspiration and motivation; how much more powerful it would be if a scriptural phrase He actually said were used.  Here are good candidates that I would put in its place:


·         “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
·         “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness” (Isaiah 41:10).
·         “And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments” (1 Nephi 17:13).
·         “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life” (John 8:12).
·         “Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever” (D&C 122:9).
·         “Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me” (3 Nephi 9:14).
·         “For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee” (Isaiah 54:10).
·         “Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail” (D&C 6:24).
·         “I am Messiah, the King of Zion, the Rock of Heaven, which is broad as eternity; whoso cometh in at the gate and climbeth up by me shall never fall” (Moses 7:53). 

There are many others from holy writ that likewise emphasize the power and goodness of the Savior to help us through mortality and its great challenges.  Focusing on the words as they came from the Savior Himself will ultimately allow us to “testify that [we] have heard [His] voice, and know [His] words” (D&C 18:36).

Comments

Popular Posts