God be Thanked for Teachers

Today I had the chance to reflect on a particular professor I had in college as I wrote something for her book of remembrance being made for her retirement.  She made a huge impact on me and my education in the three classes I took from her and as I worked for her as a student instructor.  This has got me thinking about all of the teachers I have had since my childhood who through their devotion to teaching have made a significant difference in my life.  From my first-grade teacher who helped me discover a love for math to a history teacher in high school who opened my eyes to much more than just facts, from a religion professor whose lessons still stand out in my mind as I read the scriptures fifteen years later to a middle school English teacher who expanded my vision of reading and writing, I’m so grateful for all those who have influenced my life for good because of their teaching.  There are so many who have been to me, as “a teacher come from God” (John 3:2).
               We are of course all teachers to some degree, and surely becoming a teacher who inspires others is one of the noblest titles we can attain unto.  For example, the scriptures are clear that one of the major purposes of the Priesthood is to teach.  Alma taught, “the Lord God ordained priests, after his holy order, which was after the order of his Son, to teach these things unto the people.”  He further expounded, “Being called by this holy calling, and ordained unto the high priesthood of the holy order of God, to teach his commandments unto the children of men, that they also might enter into his rest” (Alma 13:1, 6).  Teaching is an essential reason why men are called to the priesthood at all, and I think it is telling that one of the offices in the Aaronic Priesthood is teacher.  I have sometimes wondered why the second office is called a teacher, but if nothing else surely it is at least an indication of the fact that the Lord is serious about teaching.  Indeed, one of the stated duties of a teacher (and deacon and priest) is, not surprisingly, to teach: “They are, however, to warn, expound, exhort, and teach, and invite all to come unto Christ” (Doctrine and Covenants 20:59).  Since the men of the Priesthood are never released from an office they receive all those of have Melchizedek Priesthood are, likewise, official a teacher.  
           Of course, teaching is not a responsibility only for men.  All of us in the church surely fall under this mandate from the Lord: “And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom. Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you” (Doctrine and Covenants 88:77-78).   Emma Smith was given this injunction from the Lord which undoubtedly applies to all faithful women: "Thou shalt be ordained under his hand to expound scriptures, and to exhort the church, according as it shall be given thee by my Spirit" (Doctrine and Covenants 25:7).  Paul attributed the faith of Timothy to that of his mother and grandmother: "When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also" (2 Timothy 1:5).  Surely that faith was transferred by the powerful teaching of these two women.  The Savior even had the babes teach their parents: "The multitude gathered themselves together, and they both saw and heard these children; yea, even babes did open their mouths and utter marvelous things" (3 Nephi 26:16).  So from the young to the old, to teach is a calling for all, and to be able to effectively teach is a gift from God: “To one is given by the Spirit of God, that he may teach the word of wisdom; And to another, that he may teach the word of knowledge by the same Spirit” (Moroni 10:9-10).  God be thanked for all those teachers He inspires to bless His children everywhere.  

Comments

Popular Posts