A More Powerful Effect Than Anything Else

In the most recent general conference Elder Mark D. Eddy shared the story of Alma when he sought to reclaim the Zoramites who had dissented from the Nephites. They had left the true faith in God and were perverting the ways of the Lord, and Mormon recorded this about what Alma decided to do: “And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God” (Alma 31:5). Here I think the best synonym for virtue is power; Alma knew that reading and hearing and studying the word of God had more power to change the hearts of people than any physical constraint. And so, he sought to take that word to the Zoramites in hopes that they would let it enter their hearts. He was doing what the Lord declared should be done to the Prophet Joseph Smith: “For behold, verily I say unto you, this is the most expedient in me, that my word should go forth unto the children of men, for the purpose of subduing the hearts of the children of men for your good” (Doctrine and Covenants 96:5). The world would change men’s behavior through force; the power of the word of God is that it can change hearts and people with their hearts turned to the Lord will change their behavior. Elder Eddy commented, “Among many possible solutions, Alma’s faith led them to rely on the power of the word.” No matter what problem we are trying to solve, we should not forget that word of God is more powerful than “anything else” and it should be at the forefront of our solution.  

                We need the word of God in particular today because of the flood of information that constantly bombards us and would lead us away from the covenant path. President Nelson recently told young adults, “I plead with you to take charge of your testimony. Work for it. Own it. Care for it. Nurture it so that it will grow. Feed it truth. Don’t pollute it with the false philosophies of unbelieving men and women and then wonder why your testimony is waning.” The only way to see the philosophies of men for what they are is to feed our souls the truth, particularly that found in the word of God. Elder Eddy questioned, “Are you seeking to cut through all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil so prevalent in the philosophies of our day? Do you desire to disperse the clouds of confusion caused by an overabundance of information in order to focus more singularly on the covenant path?” Then, he said, “try the virtue of the word of God.” This is indeed the invitation of the Book of Mormon in this powerful verse as Elder Eddy quoted: “Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man [and woman] of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery … and land their souls … at the right hand of God in the kingdom of heaven.” To make it through the cunning and snares and wiles of Satan so prevalent today in our world, we must focus ourselves first on the source of truth found in the holy scriptures. President Nelson urged us to study especially the Book of Mormon to find protection against the evil around us: “I promise that as you prayerfully study the Book of Mormon every day, you will make better decisions—every day. I promise that as you ponder what you study, the windows of heaven will open, and you will receive answers to your own questions and direction for your own life. I promise that as you daily immerse yourself in the Book of Mormon, you can be immunized against the evils of the day.”

            I remember once many years ago as I struggled with a difficult decision and tried to find the light I was looking for I finally decided to go somewhere by myself and read from the Book of Mormon. I read in Moroni 7 looking for the guidance of the Spirit to know the things that I should do. I did indeed find the direction I was looking for and wrote in my journal, “I have to go forward in faith and love: if I cleave unto every good thing, and condemn it not, then I will be a child of Christ. That is my hope and my faith.” I know that the words of God in the scriptures, coupled with His Spirit, are more powerful than any other source to help us find truth and know the things that we should do. Elder Eddy summarized his talk this way: “I testify that our Heavenly Father has given us the word because He loves us perfectly and wants each of us to return home to live with Him forever. I testify of ‘the Word … made flesh’ even Jesus the Christ, and of His power to save and to redeem us. I know that His virtue flows through the words of His prophets, both past and present.”  

   

Comments

Popular Posts